Main page content begins here

Leduc County and Beaumont Annexation Transition
Residents living in annexed areas formerly belonging to Leduc and Beaumont, please contact for Business Licence inquiries.

Follow these steps to apply for a Business Licence:

Lost or Replacement Licence

If you have a lost or damaged licence and you are looking to obtain a new copy, please contact the Edmonton Service Centre to request a replacement. A service fee will apply (see Schedule B under "Other Fees").

Prepare Your Application

Required Documents
  • One copy each of a Site Plan and Floor Plan
  • Some businesses such as an After Hours Dance Club or a Pawn Shop require a Police Information Check
  • If your business is a corporation you must include a current full corporate registry search with your Business Licence application form, which can be obtained at any registry office or by City staff for a $7 search fee

Please review the Business Licence classifications and Zoning Bylaw Use Classes that may apply to your business by referring to the Business Licence Bylaw and Section 7 of the Zoning Bylaw.   

Non-Resident Business Licence

A person or business that does not have a permanent location within Edmonton but is conducting business in the city must complete a Non-Resident Business Application form and pay an additional fee

Non-Profit Organizations

Non-profit organizations operating in the City of Edmonton are required to have a business licence. Contact the Edmonton Service Centre for more information.

Submit Your Application

Please submit your Business Licence Application form with all the required documents. 

How to Apply
  • Online Application
  • Apply in person at the Edmonton Service Centre 

  • Apply by mail to:
    Development Services
    2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower 
    10111-104 Avenue NW
    Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4

Your Application is Reviewed

Review by the City

City staff will review your application and confirm if your proposed business meets the requirements of the Zoning Bylaw and Business Licence Bylaw. This will determine if your business can operate on the property that you have chosen and which category or categories apply to your business licence.

City staff may contact you for more information or additional documentation depending on your business activities and the outcome of the review. 

Additional Reviews for Specific Uses

Some types of businesses (for example, nail salons, restaurants, pubs, and so on) may need additional consultation with other agencies such as the Edmonton Police Service, Fire Rescue Services and Alberta Health Services. These consultations have an additional "Consultation Fee" (see Schedule B under "Other Fees"). If your application requires a Fire Inspection a New Business License Approval inspection fee will also be required. 

Pay Fees

The fee for your business licence (see Schedule B) will depend on which business classification applies. If multiple classifications apply, your fees will be the total of all applicable category fees.


A person is applying to open a restaurant that serves alcohol, with no age restrictions. This business would be classified under "Restaurant or Food Sales" and "Alcohol Sales (Consumption On Premises / Minors Allowed)". A review and inspection would be required by Fire Rescue Services. As a result, the total fee for your licence is:

Restaurant or Food Sales Classification Fee
+ Alcohol Sales (Consumption On Premises / Minors Allowed) Classification fee 
+ Consultation fee
+ Fire Rescue Services New Business License Approval inspection fee
= Total Business Licence fee to be paid

Non-Resident Business Licence Fee

A person or business that does not have a permanent location within Edmonton but is conducting business in the city will have to pay an additional Non-Resident Licence Fee (see Schedule B under "Other Fees"). 

Non-Profit Organization Fee

The business licence fee for a non-profit organization is reduced if proof of non-profit status is provided as part of the application.    

Making a Payment

There are multiple ways to make your payment

Your Licence is Issued

Once your business licence application has been approved and you have paid the fees, you will be issued your business licence by mail.

Please allow for two weeks for your licence to arrive. If you have not received it after two weeks, contact the Edmonton Service Centre.

Your licence will be valid for one year and you have to renew your licence every year.

For More Information

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB  T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311


End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content