A home-based business operates out of a residential location. This includes businesses where you may be working in different areas throughout the city but administrative activities are done in the home. Some examples of home-based businesses include online retail, contracting, cleaning services, photography, landscaping and catering. 

Home-based businesses must follow specific development regulations under Edmonton’s Zoning Bylaw and within the  Business Licence Bylaw . They may require a development permit and building permits and must have a business licence like any other business in the city.