Project Update - April 2022
Construction begins May 2022 and is expected to span two construction seasons. Anticipated completion is in fall 2023.
The following traffic and parking disruptions will be in place during 2022 construction beginning May 24, 2022:
- Northbound lanes will be closed from 111 Avenue to 118 Avenue and traffic diverted to Groat Road and 119 Street.
- Southbound traffic will be restricted to one lane.
- Long duration lane closures and parking restrictions will take place from 111 Avenue to 118 Avenue, starting from 111 Avenue and expanding north as construction proceeds.
- Residents and businesses will encounter some disruption to their entry access and vehicle parking due to the ongoing construction. Commitments have been made to ensure these disruptions are mitigated, and access to each property will be provided.
Construction in 2022 will include the following:
- Enhancements to areas in front of businesses to increase safety, accessibility, and be more welcoming
- New trees and grass areas beside roads and sidewalks to add to the natural beauty of the street
- Upgraded street lighting to decorative black heritage arms with pedestrian lights and the ability to accommodate flower basket arms and banner holders
- Intersection improvements to improve operations and safety
- Wider sidewalks, shorter street crossings, and more public space in front of businesses with added seating
- Underground utility work
- Design with winter in mind; added lighting, a boulevard for snow storage and larger hard surface areas in front of businesses
- Bus bays and curb extensions to support transit
Timing and staging of construction is dependent on many things including weather conditions, utilities work, and other, sometimes unforeseen, design and construction issues.
The What We Decided Report describes the final designs for the project, including when and how the City used policy and program information, public engagement input and technical requirements to make project decisions.