Energy Efficiency includes requirements affecting building envelope, heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC), and service water heating.
These are intended to address:
- Air leakage
- Uncontrolled thermal transfer
- Unnecessary energy demand or consumption for heating and cooling, service water heating, and electrical equipment and devices
- Inefficiency of equipment and systems
- Unnecessary rejection of reusable waste energy
The same provincially-trained and certified Safety Codes Officers who issue building permits and inspect construction also administer the new Energy Codes.
There are three possible paths to achieve the energy efficiency requirements:
- Prescriptive Path
- Prescriptive with Trade-Off Path
- Performance Path
Overview of the NBC(AE) 9.36 Compliance Paths
Learn more about the three paths in the
Overview of the Application and Inspection Criteria