Great Horned Owl

Injured Wildlife - Caring for Wild Animals

If you’ve come across a wild animal that you think might be injured, please contact WILDNorth at 780-914-4118.

You can help if you find wildlife orphaned, injured or in distress. Animals will protect themselves if they are threatened. When handling an injured animal, follow these steps:

  1. Have an appropriate, ventilated container ready before you pick up a wild animal. For birds use a cardboard box. For mammals use a sturdy container such as a fibreglass pet caddy or strong wooden box.
  2. Wear leather gloves and have a towel available to throw over the animal.
  3. Transport the injured animal to the nearest wildlife veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitation centre as soon as possible.

Don't attempt to care for the animal on your own, unless you have contacted the appropriate agency and have been given instructions.

Injured wildlife require the same care as injured pets.

It's illegal for you to possess, even in the short term, most species of wildlife without a permit. Wildlife rehabilitation centres and other agencies are permitted to care for injured native wildlife.

For the name of a veterinary clinic in your area, check the Yellow Pages or call the Alberta Veterinary Medical Association at 780-489–5007 during business hours.

Problem Wildlife

For problem wildlife, please contact Animal Care & Control at 311. For larger wildlife, contact Alberta Fish and Wildlife Office.

For more information on problem wildlife, please see Urban Wildlife.