Main page content begins here

Recovering from an emergency event can be a physically and mentally draining process. Often, the hardest part is knowing where to begin and who to contact.
While the fire is under investigation, NO ONE, including the property owner is permitted on site without the express approval of the Fire/Police Arson Investigator. The investigation and safety assessment can take hours, days or weeks, so please plan accordingly.

Your First Priorities Are

  • Emergency/Short-term accommodations
  • Food/Clothing
  • Medications/Prescriptions
    • For direction on emergency refills or any other questions - call Health Link at 811
  • Aids to daily living, such as oxygen, walkers, hearing aids, prescription eyewear and dentures
  • Pet Care
    •  If you have lost your pet, please contact the Animal Care & Control Centre (311)
  • Transportation

Emergency Support Services

The City’s Emergency Support Response Team (ESRT) works with the Canadian Red Cross to provide you with temporary emergent housing. If necessary, the Canadian Red Cross and Edmonton Emergency Relief Services Society will also provide emergency clothing, food and personal items. In some cases, the Edmonton Emergency Relief Services Society will supply essential furniture. If you have homeowners or tenants insurance, then your policy may cover temporary housing.

Canadian Red Cross

Office: 780-423-2680
Emergencies (24h): 1-888-800-6493

Edmonton Emergency Relief Services Society (24h)

Call: 780-428-4422

If You Cannot Live In The House

Remove as many valuables as possible if you must stay elsewhere. While Edmonton Fire Rescue Services is investigating the fire, an officer will accompany you to recover these items and a record will be kept of what is removed from your home. Check for important legal documents, damaged or undamaged.

Try to locate the following items to take with you:

  • Identification
  • Vital medicines such as blood pressure regulating drugs, insulin, anti-seizure medication
  • Eyeglasses, hearing aids or other personal aids (even if damaged, personal aids may be repaired or replaced temporarily)
  • Valuables such as credit cards, chequebooks, insurance policies, savings account books, money, jewellery

You Should Notify

  • Family members/friends
  • Employers
  • Utility service providers (natural gas, electricity, water, phone, cable and internet) to reconnect or turn utilities on or off
  • Insurance company/agent
  • Your bank
  • Credit card companies
  • Landlords or building owners/supervisors, if you are renting
  • Children’s school or daycare
  • Canada Post to reroute your mail if you have to move out for any length of time
  • Health and Welfare Canada if you receive benefits from Canada Pension Plan, Family Allowance or Old Age Security
Counselling services can help with daily life stresses, relationships, family issues and more.

Counselling/Crisis Services

After an emergency, common responses include anxiety, depression, anger, hopelessness and an inability to concentrate. Here are some agencies that can provide some counselling and/or crisis management.

211 Resource Lists

Call: 211
Provides direct link between essential health, human services, community resources and government assistance needed day-to-day and in times of crisis.

The Crisis Support Centre (24h)

Call: 780-482-4357 
Helps individuals cope with crisis by phone, in person and online.

For More Information


In Edmonton: 311

Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content