Public Information Event: November 2019
Thank you to everyone who attended the public event on November 26, 2019 to view the refined design and have your questions answered. The 53 Avenue Reconstruction project aims to maintain the safety and efficiency of the road while improving the road condition and providing sidewalks to improve safety for all.
About the Project
Due to poor condition of the pavement and sidewalks, 53 Avenue, between Whitemud Drive and 141 Street, has been identified for roadway reconstruction. This includes reconstruction of the road, curb, gutters, sidewalks and street lights where necessary, for safety and efficiency. Missing sidewalk links and active modes connections are also identified.
The project team met approximately 80% of property owners within the project area one-on-one in September 2019 to discuss ideas for the road construction and to explore concerns or questions the property owners may have. Through the discussion, some of the key things we heard include:
- How 53 Avenue is currently used by pedestrians and motorists
- The importance of front landscaping and an interest in preserving mature trees
- Concerns about speeding
- Both agreement and disagreement with the need to add a sidewalk on the south side of 53 Avenue
Based on the feedback received, the project team further refined the design to meet the current and future needs and desires of the residents. Highlights of the refined plan include:
- Shared-use path along north side of 53 Avenue between 143 Street to Whitemud Drive in front of the school site
- Sidewalk along north side of 53 Avenue between 141 Street to 143 Street
- New sidewalk on the south side of 53 Avenue east of 142 Street
- Narrower roadway and extension of the median east of 141 Street