Edmonton Transit (ETS) incorporates a comprehensive hiring process involving several assessment stages, which include: STRADA, Map Reading, Driving Assessment, Interview, Reference Check, Police Information Checks(including Vulnerable Sector Search), Medical Testing and a FARE assessment (functional abilities recruitment evaluation). Some steps may incur a cost to you, such as the required Police Check. Other costs to the applicant may include a knowledge test for license upgrading and air brake certification, if applicable.
Please Note: Edmonton Transit's primary method of communications will be through email.
For any inquiries related to the hiring process for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applying on a Posting
View postings online at this website or at the Employment Centre at City Hall. Those interested in a driving career with ETS must submit an application on a current or ‘open’ Posting. Look at the ‘Opening’ and ‘Closing’ dates carefully. Postings for operator positions appear for a limited time, so check often.
- Only those candidates considered for the position will be contacted via email.
- Edmonton Transit's primary method of communications will be through e-mail
How to create an Online Profile
Candidates will be screened based on the established knowledge and skills requirements as identified in the job posting. Candidates meeting the established job criteria as specified in the job posting will receive an email invitation for the next steps. Please check emails regularly for updates, including your junk/spam folder.
Job Shadowing Exercise
Applicants in the hiring process must spend time observing Transit Operators as they perform the day-to-day functions of their job while working with the public. The purpose of this exercise is to be exposed to the actual work environment of a Transit Operator, whether Conventional, Community Service, or DATS. By observing Operators who are “on the job,” you will be able to make a more informed decision as to whether or not you want to pursue a career as a Transit Operator.
Candidates must complete the job shadowing exercise for Conventional Transit Operator and Community Service Operator positions before attending the interview.
The Job Shadowing Exercise is specific for each driving group and is as follows:
DATS Operator (Job Shadowing is assigned during the hiring process)
Pre-employment assessments and testing steps are completed both online and on-site. Instructions will be given concerning when and where testing takes place and what to bring. Assessments and testing include the following:
- Bus Operator Assessment - STRADA (completed online)
- Skills Assessment (completed in-person):
- Map Reading test
- Driving Assessment
Applicants who are successful in all pre-employment assessments and testing may be invited for an interview. The Job Shadowing Exercise must be completed before the interview and presented at the Interview for Conventional Transit Operator and Community Service Operator. For DATS applicants, a Job Shadowing Exercise must be completed following a successful Interview. Some of the categories that applicants are assessed in during the interview are:
- Customer service
- Safety and emergency response
- Vehicle monitoring and driving
- Professionalism and ethical conduct
Preparing for the Interview
Security and References
- Successful applicants at the interview stage must provide the contact information of three references and consent for collection and verification of information of references. References should be your current employers or supervisors
Police Information Check
- Candidates must provide a Police information check, including a Vulnerable Sector Search when requested. Hire is dependent upon a Police Information Check and Vulnerable Sector Search that is satisfactory to the City of Edmonton
Instructions concerning reference checks and Police Information checks will be provided in detail via email when at this step.
Medical and Functional Abilities
Applicants must successfully complete:
- Functional Abilities Recruitment Evaluation test (FARE), which is designed to simulate Transit Operator tasks. Testing consists of a degree or degrees of:
- Lifting, pushing, and pulling weights
- Squatting, reaching, bending, twisting, gripping, neck extension, and climbing stairs
- Walking on treadmill for 5 minutes at 3.2 mph (heart rate is monitored)
- Steering (3 minutes of full rotations including evasive actions)
- A medical examination
A decision to offer employment is based upon a complete picture of the application. Applicants are selected based on their greatest demonstrated ability. Note: A condition of employment includes obtaining a successful knowledge test for a license upgrade as well as obtaining air brake certification at the candidate’s cost before employment.
Successful completion of the hiring process does not guarantee employment.
You must meet and maintain all qualifications outlined in the job posting throughout the hiring and training process.
How to Apply
If you wish to apply for a position, please apply online.