Making a Development Compliance Inquiry

The Development Compliance Team investigates all residential living situations where the type of living is not permitted in the property’s zone or the conditions of the development permit have been violated for:

  • Secondary suites
  • A dwelling with 4 or more sleeping units (lodging housing)
  • Living full-time in a commercial building or recreational vehicle where it is not permitted
  • Hotels and motels where converted to supportive housing
  • Apartment living

The Development Compliance Team also investigates general land use inquiries (Section 7.200 of the Zoning Bylaw), such as:

  • Constructing a building/structure, overheight fence, or deck without a development permit
  • Placing a sign without a development permit
  • Violating the conditions of a development permit
  • Creating parking spaces or parking at a non-permitted location
  • Using a property in a way that contravenes the Zoning Bylaw

Before making an inquiry, please ensure that it is Development Compliance related. If you suspect a property is being used for criminal activity, please contact Edmonton Police Service. For all other inquiries, please contact the City of Edmonton's general inquiry line and they will help to redirect you.

How to Make an Inquiry

If you have a concern about a residential living or land use issue:

  • Discuss the concern directly with the property owner, if possible
  • If the issue cannot be resolved directly with the property owner, gather the required information and contact the City of Edmonton to make an inquiry

Required Information

When making an inquiry, you will be required to submit the following:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • Your phone number
  • The address of the property in question
  • A description of the issue
  • Evidence that demonstrates reasonable grounds for an investigation

The information you provide will be used to investigate your inquiry, but your name and address will not be made available to the public. Learn more about how the City protects your privacy.

Contacting the City

Inquiries can be made by:

Telephone: 311 (In Edmonton) or 780-442-5311 (Outside Edmonton)


After an Inquiry is Made

Inquiries are prioritized and investigated based on the severity of the issue, history of concerns and inquiry type.

After you make an inquiry, you will receive a phone call within two (2) business days to confirm the details of your inquiry. The investigation will be scheduled after you have verified the inquiry details.

For more information on the Compliance process, visit Property and Owner Information.

Possible Outcomes from an Inquiry

The main goal of the Development Compliance team is to ensure property owners comply with the Zoning Bylaw. We use a variety of methods to achieve this:

Education about Bylaw regulations helps citizens to understand why complying with these regulations is necessary for all of us to live and work in a safe and vibrant city.

Voluntary Compliance occurs when voluntary changes are made to comply with the Zoning Bylaw. This is the most effective and fastest way to achieve compliance.

Tickets (Municipal and Violation) are issued when voluntary corrective actions have not been taken.

Violation Notices are warnings that a violation of the Zoning Bylaw has occurred and informs the property owner what must be done in order to comply with the Zoning Bylaw.

MGA Orders are legal documents issued in accordance with Section 645 of the Municipal Government Act. These identify the zoning violation and what must be done in order to comply with the Zoning Bylaw. Orders also define a timeline in which the actions must be taken to avoid further enforcement action.

Court Orders are demands for action. If the actions to correct the violation do not occur, stronger orders may result, such as an order of contempt. An Order of Contempt occurs when a court of law is disrespected, such as when a person refuses to comply with a court order.