Main page content begins here

The Prince of Wales Armoury remains available for tenant access. City of Edmonton Archives are closed until further notice.

The Prince of Wales Armouries is home to the City of Edmonton Archives and everyone is welcome to visit the public spaces of the 100 year old building for free. 

Hours

Mon - Tue 8:30am-4:30pm
Wed 8:30am-8pm
Thurs - Fri 8:30am-4:30pm
Sat - Sun Closed
Holidays Closed

Location

Map of 10440 108 Avenue
10440 108 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta

Notifications

Parking 

While parking is free, it's also limited. Fortunately, we're only a short distance south of the Kingsway/Royal Alex LRT Station and Transit Centre.

Parking Lot Entrance

The Prince of Wales Armouries parking lot can only be accessed from west of 105 Street along 108 Avenue.

Several roads around the building are permanently closed:

  • 104 Street is closed between Kingsway Avenue and 108 Avenue
  • 105 Street is closed between 108 and 107 Avenue
  • 108 Avenue is closed between 104 and 105 Street

Entering the Building

The entrance to the Prince of Wales Armouries is locked. There is a doorbell to the right of the door to request access. The door will be opened remotely.

Exhibits

Sketching History

Rediscovering Edmonton's Architechtural Heritage through Urban Sketching

Curated by Historian Laureate Marlena Wyman, Sketching History features lively drawings of Edmonton's architectural heritage by members of Urban Sketchers Edmonton. 

November 20, 2019 to December 2020


Archives Exhibits

The City of Edmonton Archives also has small exhibits on the concourse of POWA and in the Archives (second floor).

Poster for the Sketching History Exhibit showing a sketch of the exterior of the Prince of Wales Armouries

History

Completed in 1915, the Edmonton Drill Hall was a military training site for the Department of National Defence until 1977. Over the years it was home to several regiments, including the Loyal Edmonton Regiment, as well as a number of corps including signal men and medical personnel.

Ownership of the Prince of Wales Armouries (as it was re-named in 1921) was transferred to the City of Edmonton in 1982 and it hosted a variety of organizations and community groups like the Cadets and the Edmonton Food Bank. After much consideration of its future, the City began renovations to create a new home for the City of Edmonton Archives inside the old drill hall.

Organizations in the Armouries

The Prince of Wales Armouries Heritage Centre is home to the City of Edmonton Archives as well as the:

For More Information

Prince of Wales Armouries

10440 108 Avenue
Edmonton AB
T5H 3Z9

Telephone

For Facility Bookings

780-496-8355

For General Inquiries

In Edmonton: 311

Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

Fax Facility Rentals: 780-496-8747
Email POWFacilityRentals@edmonton.ca

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content