The programs build on the strengths and capacities of individuals, families and communities, and are volunteer supported.
The combined efforts of funded programs and City activities are working towards achieving Council's strategic plan, priorities and goals, with focused efforts on social inclusion.
Family and Community Support Services (FCSS) is a unique 80/20 funding partnership between the Government of Alberta and participating municipalities or Métis Settlements. Provincially, the FCSS Program receives its mandate from the Family and Community Support Services Act and Regulation.
The Regulation sets out the service requirements that a municipality or Métis Settlement must meet to be eligible for funding.
Section 2.1(2)(b) states: “Services under a program must do one or more of the following:
- Help people to develop independence, strengthen coping skills and become more resistant to crisis.
- Help people to develop an awareness of social needs.
- Help people to develop interpersonal and group skills which enhance constructive relationships among people.
- Help people and communities to assume responsibility for decisions and actions which affect them.
- Provide supports that help sustain people as active participants in the community."
For more information, visit the Government of Alberta, Human Services site:
FCSS: Types of Services
Family and Community Support Services Association of Alberta
FCSS Provincial Measures Bank
The funding is only available to organizations currently part of core funded programs in the FCSS program. Applications for funding are not being accepted at this time.
There are so many great examples of the difference FCSS funded programs are making in the community.
The stories are submitted here will be used for reports and on our website to illustrate the impact your work has on the community. Please remove any identifying information from your success story (for example, change the name of the program participant, their family names, etc).
Success Stories Submission Form
For more information, see Family and Community Support Services Grant.