Infill Pre-Application Meetings
The City of Edmonton is now offering Pre-Application Meetings for new residential infill development (Single Detached Housing, Semi-detached Housing, Duplex Housing or Garden Suite). Fill out the Pre-Application Meeting Request Form to set up your free pre-application infill meeting for residential infill developments. Download the calendar.
Pre-Application Meetings for Major Development Permits
Development Services provides a Pre-Application Meeting for commercial, industrial, and multi-dwelling residential projects.
The scope can include:
- New buildings
- Renovations and additions, or
- A change of use resulting in a major change to the site such as parking or access
You will meet with a team of City staff from different departments to review your proposal and gather input on your issues.
At the meeting City staff will focus on items that will help you submit a well-informed development permit submission, including:
- Flagging issues to address, such as variances to the Zoning Bylaw
- Sharing information that needs to be considered, such as required separation from existing accesses, and
- Identifying additional required reports or information
- Sharing relevant City program information such as the Facade Improvement Program or the Development Incentive Program
Your development permit application that responds to the Pre-Application Meeting information will help to reduce review and process times. A thorough application can save time by limiting the back and forth communications between you and the City.
The Edmonton Service Centre is available for basic inquiries and information related to development permits that do not call for a Pre-Application Meeting.
None of the comments provided through the Pre-Application Meeting are to be taken to imply or suggest a commitment or decision by City administration to either approve or refuse your proposal. Undertaking the complete Development Permit process is the only way to be provided with a decision by City administration.
Pre-Application Meetings are:
- on the second and fourth Wednesday of the month (2019)
- Every Wednesday of the month (2020)
- 50 minutes long
- first-come, first-served based on complete requests
Requests are due two weeks prior to the meeting date. A complete request includes the form with clear discussion items, a scaled Site Plan with the required information and the fee.
Note: Email is used for all communications. Ensure your email account will accept email from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 1: Submit Request
- Complete the Pre-Application Meeting Request form and online fee payment
- Due two weeks prior to meeting date
Step 2: Meeting Scheduled
- Time slot (50 minutes) assigned by Development Services
- Requests scheduled on a first-come basis of complete requests, including the fee
- Meeting date shared by email within 2 days of a complete request
Step 3: City Review
- Request provided to relevant City staff for review
- City circulation may include Development Services, Drainage Services, Fire Rescue Services, Transportation Planning, Waste Management Services, Citizen Services and City Planning
Step 4: Pre-Application Meeting
- 50 minute meeting with City staff
- Focused on the discussion items and site plan provided with the meeting request
Step 5: Meeting Record
- Development Services provides a written followup
- Provided one week after the meeting
After the Pre-Application Meeting
In order to maximize the benefit of the Pre-Application Meeting, your development permit application needs to respond to the information provided at the meeting.
Share the Meeting Record with your project team. City staff who receive the development permit circulation will consider the comments included in the Meeting Record.
A full list of the guidelines and regulations that relate to Major Development Permit applications is on the Major Development Permit Resources page.