Calibrated, automatic spreaders help reduce unnecessary salt application. In small quantities, anti-icer is safe for humans and animals, and should not be a cause for concern for most healthy dogs. Any casual contact followed by cleaning should keep your dog safe.
- To protect their paws, walk around sidewalk areas where homeowners have placed salt pellets
- After the walk, clean your dog’s paws with water
- Don’t let your dog lick their paws until after you’ve cleaned them
- Don’t worry if they’d had a couple of licks before you get them cleaned up
- Stop your dog from drinking puddled winter water because of possible salt content