In order to use fireworks within Edmonton, you are required to have a Fireworks Permit.
Fireworks Permit Requirements
To qualify for a permit, you must demonstrate:
- You are the property owner or, if you are not the property owner, you have written permission from the owner and proof of insurance coverage
- You have at least 400 square metres of space to set off the fireworks (10 metres in every direction)
Where to Obtain a Fireworks Permit
You can apply for a Fireworks permit at either of these locations:
- The Fire Prevention Office
Monday to Fridays: 8am-4:30pm
(Access from the northeast corner of the building)
- Edmonton Service Centre
10111 104 Avenue NW
Purchasing Fireworks for Use Outside of Edmonton
To purchase fireworks for use outside of Edmonton you must have written permission from the authority having jurisdiction in the region in which the fireworks will be used (the local fire department). This permission must have a date no older than 2 weeks before the time of purchase.
Fireworks Safety Tips:
- Before you use fireworks, always check Alberta Fire Bans to find out if there is a fire ban in effect.
- Before you use fireworks, check the weather conditions to ensure the wind conditions are safe.
- Follow all of the instructions for the safe use of the fireworks. Pay special attention to personal and public safety measures.
- Follow all of the restrictions for storage and use to ensure that the firework performs as expected.
- Have a responsible adult handle and discharge the fireworks.
- Keep fireworks and sparklers away from children.
- Always have a supply of water nearby when using fireworks.