The City of Edmonton's Waste Services branch is updating its strategic plan, focusing on actions that will help the City reach its goal of 90% diversion of residential waste from landfill.
On February 16, 2018, awas released. It included five recommendations to help increase our rate of residential waste diversion, including:
- changing how grass, leaf, and yard waste is treated as of September 4, 2018
- introducing a source-separated organics program for kitchen waste starting in 2020
- talking with Edmontonians about other program options
- reviewing our diversion rate calculations
- and updating waste policies
It is important to note that City Council must approve these recommendations before Waste Services can proceed with implementation. These recommendations will be discussed at the February 23 Utility Committee meeting, and debated by City Council at the March 20 Council meeting.