Main page content begins here

On-Street Construction and Maintenance (OSCAM) permits are required for all work on City road right of ways, under any one of the following conditions:

  • All work that involves excavation of roadways, sidewalks, or boulevards
  • Non-excavation work that interferes with traffic flows on major roadways during the hours of 6-9am and/or 3:30-6:30pm, excluding weekends and holidays
  • All work on freeways, river crossings, in the downtown core, or Whyte Avenue area
  • All work with a duration of more than four hours at any one location. Multiple work locations less than 250m apart are considered to be one location

Permit Requests

Fill out the OSCAM Permit Request Form.

**Applicants are recommended to have Utility Line Assignment (ULA) numbers, and/or No Cut Exemption requests (where applicable), in place prior to submission of an OSCAM permit request.

There is currently no fee for OSCAM permit applications.

OSCAM permit applications take a minimum of 2 full business days to process for minor requests, and 10 full business days for major requests.

It is the responsibility of the customer to accurately maintain the start and completion dates of the OSCAM permit. Working without a valid and accurate OSCAM permit is in violation of Traffic Bylaw 5590. Violators are subject to fine and/or removal from the road right of way.

The City of Edmonton Procedures for On-Street Construction and Safety, has additional information regarding OSCAM permits and work on road right of way.

No Cut Exemption Request

A moratorium exists where a roadway or alley has been classified with a VCI (visual condition index) greater than 6, or where special restoration requirements are needed.

Utility Line Assignment

Authorization of utility and monitoring well installations within public road rights-of-way by external agencies and private utilities must first enter into an agreement with the City of Edmonton.

Temporary Construction Access Authorization Permit (TCAAP)

A Temporary Construction Access Authorization Permit (TCAAP) is required when equipment will be crossing;

  • a boulevard or a sidewalk to temporarily access private property from the public road right of way, when there is no legal access to the private property

Complete the Temporary Construction Access Authorization Permit (TCAAP) Request form and submit via email.


There is a $50 application fee for TCAPP permit applications. Payments can be made by cheque or paid in person at the Edmonton Service Centre. If paying by cheque, please include your service address on your cheque.

Mail your payment to:

Edmonton Service Centre
2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday 8am to 4:30pm

TCAAP applications take a minimum of 5 full business days to process for minor locations, and 10 full business days for major locations. The TCAAP requires the applicant to provide protection to trees, the boulevard and maintain appropriate drainage needs when required.

The City of Edmonton Residential Infill Construction Guide provides additional information about these requirements.

For More Information

OSCAM Permitting

Transportation Operations


(780) 442-6458


End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content