A total of $8.3 million has been approved by City Council to begin implementing the master plan. Funded elements include:
- Improving park entrance including new park signage and landscaping
- Developing a roundabout for improved access to the parks and Edmonton Valley Zoo as part of the Buena Vista Road rehabilitation project
- Improving the wayfinding and park signage
- Improving parking and access in both parks
- Creating viewpoints along the riverside trail in Sir Wilfrid Laurier Park
- Improving riverside path in both parks
- Improving washroom facilities in Sir Wilfrid Laurier Park
- Rehabilitating the picnic site in Sir Wilfrid Laurier Park, including upgrading picnic and group sites for better accessibility
- Upgrading parking for accessible picnic site
- Renewing two natural playgrounds in Sir Wilfrid Laurier Park
Specific projects approved for development within Sir Wilfrid Laurier Park include:
Small-scale viewpoints will be added at strategic locations along the riverside trail in the park.
2. Picnic Site Upgrades
The nine bookable picnic sites within the park will be upgraded to include picnic shelters, concrete bases, new picnic tables and barbeque pits.
The first come, first serve picnic sites will be upgraded with new landscaping, picnic tables and barbeque pits.
3. Trail Realignment / Resurfacing
The main gravel pathway that follows the river will be graded to remove low spots and a new gravel surface will be applied. In locations where the trail is being impacted by bank erosion, the trail will be redirected a safe distance away from the eroding bank.
4. Washroom Replacement
The serviced washroom facility is nearing the end of its life span and will be replaced. The new washroom will be comparable in size to the existing facility, however will be able to operate year-round.
5. Playground Replacement
The existing playground equipment will be removed and replaced with natural playgrounds. These new playgrounds will feature natural materials such as logs and boulders which children can climb / jump / swing / play on.
6. Public Amenity Nodes
Public amenity nodes are planned near the washroom facility and the boat launch. These nodes will include a bench, waste receptacles, bicycle parking, and a park information kiosk.