Tips to Make Your Ride Safe
Here are some tips to help you stay safe in a taxi or rideshare:
- Sit in the back seat
- Tell others where you’re going and when you expect to arrive - or use your smartphone to share your location with friends or family.
- Ask the driver “who are you here for?” and have the driver confirm your name.
- Know how to identify a rideshare vehicle vs a taxi
- If the rideshare vehicle or driver is different than what is identified on the app, do not proceed with the trip
- Don’t share more personal info than required to get you to your destination
- Be respectful to your driver and provide a review when the trip is over
Requesting a Trip
Travelling around the Edmonton region in a vehicle for hire starts with a trip request.
There are two ways to request a trip: by hailing a vehicle from the street or requesting a vehicle in advance.
Hailing From the Street
In the City of Edmonton, only taxis and accessible taxis can be hailed or flagged from the street. Trips for these services may also be requested in advance, using a variety of different methods including a web reservation, a phone reservation, or mobile app.
Requesting a Vehicle in Advance
Requesting trips using limousines, private transportation providers, shuttles, or transportation network vehicles must be made in advance via phone, website, mobile app, or other methods, before the vehicle arrives to pick you up. These vehicles can not accept a flag or hail from the street.