Main page content begins here

A plumbing permit is required when installing or altering plumbing equipment

About the Service

A plumbing permit is required under the provincial Safety Codes Act when installing or altering plumbing equipment such as: 

  • sinks,
  • shower stalls,
  • wash basins,
  • water piping,
  • bathtubs,
  • auto washer,
  • drains,
  • laundry tubs,
  • backwater valves,
  • toilets,
  • backflow prevention devices.

You do not require a permit to replace a fixture or maintain an existing system which remains in the same location.

How Do I Obtain the Service?

For Homeowners

New home plumbing work must be completed by a licensed mechanical contractor. Homeowners of single family homes can only obtain plumbing permits for renovations and/or additions to an existing plumbing system.

Homeowners who apply for their own plumbing permits must own and occupy the property and be completing the work themselves in a single family detached property only.

  1. Homeowner must apply for permits in person (address listed below)
  2. Complete the Single Family Homeowners Plumbing and Gas Application
  3. Include a detailed drawing with piping layout including fitting descriptions and sizing
  4. After the work has been completed you must book an inspection by calling 311.

A permit must be obtained prior to starting any work and booking an inspection.

For Contractors

Contractors must be licensed with the City of Edmonton.

  1. Complete the Contractor's Plumbing and Gas Application
  2. Send a digital copy to the email address on application form, or come to our offices (address listed below)
  3. After the work has been completed you must book an inspection by calling 311.


Contractors who have an online account may apply for their permits or book their inspections online.

A permit must be obtained prior to starting any work and booking an inspection

Inspection Information

  • After the work is completed an inspection of the equipment is required.
  • All equipment that will be concealed must be inspected and approved before it is covered.
  • If the work has not had an inspection but has been covered, the inspector has the authority to request the area to be opened for inspection.

Booking an Inspection in Occupied Homes

  • The owner of the home should be phoning to book the inspection since they will be required to ensure that either themselves or another adult is there when the inspection occurs.
  • Inspections can be booked by calling 311. Please advise the type of inspection that is required as well as permit holder's name and phone number and the address where the inspection needs to be done.

To prepare for the required inspections in occupied homes, please ensure:

  • an individual 18 years of age or older who is responsible for the property is present during the inspection
  • clear and unobstructed access to all areas of inspection is provided
  • all pets are securely contained

Please note: the Safety Codes Officers are required to wear shoes while performing their duties in your home.

Extra Inspections

Additional fees shall be assessed for every inspection requested where any of the following items are found to be deficient:

  • No address on site, building, or suite as applicable
  • Inspector unable to access the building, having been called to inspect
  • Project not ready for inspection, when inspector has been called to do an inspection
  • Inspection called for where previously identified deficiency has not been corrected
In Person

City of Edmonton
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4

By Phone 311

For new single family home construction:

For new duplex or semi-detached construction and for any other types of residential plumbing:

  • Effective January 1, 2020, $112 per address or unit, plus a $4.50 Safety Code Fee
Contact the City About This Service

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB  T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311


City Services

View all City Services

I Want To...

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content