- Weigh Scale
- Integrated Processing & Transfer Facility (IPTF)
- Edmonton Composting Facility (ECF)
- Anaerobic Digestion Facility (ADF)
- Residential Transfer Station
- Materials Recovery Facility (MRF)
- E-waste Recycling Facility (Quantum Lifecycle)
- Clover Bar Landfill (closed)
- Biosolids Lagoons
- Construction & Demolition Recycling Facility (C&D)
- Compost Curing & Biosolids Composting Area
- Waste to Biofuels & Chemicals Facility (Enerkem)
- Research Facilities
- Administration & Training Facility
The Edmonton Waste Management Centre (EWMC) is a unique collection of waste processing and research facilities where waste is transformed into useful resources.
- The Centre is 233 hectares in size which is equivalent to almost five West Edmonton Malls.
- On average, 4,500 trucks bearing 9,800 tonnes of material cross the scale every week.
- Over 15,000 students, teachers and adults tour the Centre each year.
Drag to view image
Tap on hotspots to learn more.
The access point for all vehicles entering the EWMC site.
Integrated Processing & Transfer Facility (IPTF)
Receives garbage and prepares it for composting, conversion to biofuels and transfer to landfill.
Edmonton Composting Facility (ECF) - Closed
Composters convert organic waste and biosolids into compost. Changes to the structural issues at the Edmonton Composting Facility (ECF) aeration hall have led to the decision to immediately cease operations and close the facility.
Anaerobic Digestion Facility (ADF)
Will convert organic waste into compost and renewable energy. The facility is currently in the commissioning phase, processing organic feed stock from municipal solid waste and generating biogas. It will be fully operational later in 2019.
Residential Transfer Station
A convenient, one-stop area for residents to safely drop off garbage, recyclables and household hazardous waste for a fee.
Materials Recovery Facility (MRF)
Sorts and processes recyclables collected in Edmonton’s Blue Bag, Blue Bin and Recycling Depot programs.
E-Waste Recycling Facility (Quantum Lifecycle)
Processes computers, televisions and a wide range of other electronic and electric waste for recycling.
Clover Bar Landfill (closed)
An engineered sanitary landfill that features systems for groundwater diversion, leachate collection, landfill gas recovery and native revegetation. Operated from 1975 to 2010.
Store biosolids (treated sewage sludge) for composting and other diversion programs.
Construction & Demolition Recycling Facility (C&D)
Processes mixed and segregated loads of wood, drywall, concrete, metals and asphalt shingles for recycling.
Compost Curing & Biosolids Composting Area
Operational area for composting biosolids and yard waste.
Waste to Biofuels & Chemicals Facility (Enerkem)
Converts non-recyclable and non-compostable waste into methanol and ethanol.
Provides research and technology demonstration opportunities. Tests diverse waste feedstocks for gasification into syngas.
Administration & Training Facility
Houses EWMC management, education and training areas. Public tours meet here.