Main page content begins here

In-person services have been reduced, including the Edmonton Service Centre at the Edmonton Tower, to protect everyone’s health and safety. 

We’re working hard to maintain as many services as possible so you can still get the things you need. Please review the applicable section below for detailed service changes. 

Animal Care & Control Centre

Lost Pets

Beginning June 15, 2020, ACCC will admit the following: 

  • Cats by appointment. Citizens are encouraged to first make attempts to find the animal’s owner before making an appointment for admittance into the ACCC. It is important to note that cats are 10 times more likely to find their way home if left where they’re found. 

  • Stray dogs by appointment.

  • Animals that are injured, sick or in distress (including pregnant cats and kittens under two months without a mother) by appointment.

Appointments will also be made:

  • If you need to pick up your lost pet 

  • If you have found a lost pet and want it scanned for a microchip in an effort to reunite the animal with its owner  

All ACCC services listed above are by appointment only. Appointments can now be made by using our online form.

ACCC is not accepting trapped/feral cats or operating our Public Trap Neuter Return Program at this time.

If You Have Lost Your Pet

If you have lost your pet, please look for it on our Lost Pets page and make an appointment online via or by calling 311.

Injured Animals

Signs an animal may be sick, injured or in distress may include:

  • A thin or emaciated body, physical weakness

  • Discharge from the animals eyes or nose

  • Wounds, limping, or bleeding

  • Visibly pregnant (imminent birth)

  • Inability for the animal to care for itself (kittens under two months of age with no mother)

  • Exposure to cold temperatures — 20 degrees or below

We encourage citizens to make attempts to find the owner of any healthy, lost or stray animal. If the animal has a tag with a licence number on it, 311 may provide the owner’s contact information if the owner has given us permission to release it. It is important to note that owned lost cats are 10 times more likely to find their way home if left in their neighbourhood than if they are brought to a shelter. Outdoor cats and feral cats are accustomed to being outside. 

For a list of more tips on what you can do to reunite pets with their owners and templates to make your own Lost Cat Poster or Paper Collar, visit



Pet Licence Purchase and Renewal

Citizens can purchase or renew their pet licence online. Payments can also be sent by cheque or money order and mailed to: the City of Edmonton, P.O. Box 2670, Edmonton, AB. T5J 2G4.  We encourage pet owners to keep their contact information associated with your pet’s licence up-to-date online in the event your pet gets lost.

Payment can be made at any financial institution or via Online Banking payable to City of Edmonton Pet/Business Licences or Edmonton Pet & Business Licences.  

City Hall

City Hall Front Service Counter

City Hall, including the front service counter, is closed to the public. 

Access is limited to members of Council, staff and accredited media. 

City Hall Event Bookings

City Hall event bookings have been suspended until further notice.

Service of Legal Documents On the City

City Hall and Chancery Hall are closed to the public.

Contact the Law branch to arrange a time and manner for personal service of legal documents.

Contact or 780-496-7200

Pursuant to Alberta Rules of Court, Rule 11.21, this email address is not a valid address for service and emails sent to this address with legal documents attached will not be considered service on the City of Edmonton.  You will receive a reply from one of the lawyers regarding service arrangements.

Edmonton Transit

ETS Lost & Found Inquiries

Please use our online form for inquiries or call 780-496-1622 to confirm if your article has been found. Also, you will need to arrange an appointment time with the Lost and Found staff for pick up at the Edmonton Tower.

ETS Busker Permits

New Busker Permits cannot be issued at this time. Currently issued permits are extended until new permits can be issued. 

Ride Transit/ LAP Application Intake

Mail application forms to: 
Leisure Access & Ride Transit Program
PO Box  2359
Edmonton AB  T5J 2R7


ETS Sales

ETS has resumed fare collection on buses, LRT and DATS. Customers should board the bus through the front door.

ETS Refunds

Visit the Fares page for more information.

Family and Individual Support Programs

Support Programs

Support Programs, including Family Violence Prevention, Women's Support Services and Men’s Support Services are currently postponed until further notice. 

To reach a social worker, call 780-496-4777, leave a message, and they will get back to you as soon as possible. 

Our phones are in operation:

  • Monday and Friday: 8:30am-noon and 1-4:30pm
  • Wednesday: 8:30am-noon

Tenant Support Services

Tenant Support Services (formerly Landlord and Tenant Advisory Board)

Tenant Support Services is closed to in-person services. 

For advice and information please call 780-496-5959, extension 1 or email

Municipal Cemeteries Services (COVID-19)

Cemetery Service

Please note indoor gatherings are restricted to 15 people or fewer and outdoor gatherings are restricted to 50 people or fewer, as per public health guidelines.

Our client care team is available to answer any questions about cemetery services and schedule ceremonies over the phone at 780-442-0974 or by email at Hours of operation are Monday to Friday between 8:30am to 4:30pm. Exceptions will be made (by request) for clients/families who do not have necessary technology.

Office of the City Clerk

City Clerk Reception

The Office of the City Clerk Main Reception (3rd Floor City Hall) is closed to both the public and employees. The City Clerk team is still providing services during regular business hours and can be contacted at:

FOIP - Access to Information Requests

Access to Information, or FOIP, requests continue to be accepted online. We will also accept requests by mail, although we will not receive these on a regular basis, and payment for general FOIP requests must be made online. As City Hall is closed to the public we cannot accept requests in person.

We anticipate that there may be additional challenges in filling FOIP requests remotely (example:  retrieval of records, employees providing records will need to do so electronically). Applicants will be notified of any delays.

For more information on making an Access to Information Request, please contact:

FOIP - Privacy 

Privacy breaches continue to be investigated. Any interviews will be conducted via telephone. Investigations may be delayed depending on the accessibility of department colleagues who are relevant to the breach investigation. 

Privacy impact assessment meetings will be completed over the phone, but may be delayed due to pressures on business areas in response to the COVID-19. 

General privacy advice will continue to be offered via email or phone. 

Records Management

The Records Management Team is available by telephone and email to provide advice or consultation on building file plans and records disposition. For more information about Records Management Services, please contact:

Corporate Records Centre 
Limited Service Announcement

The Corporate Records Centre has changed its services due to Covid-19. Delivery services will be limited to one delivery a day for these records only:

  • Building and development permits
  • Legal claims
  • Emergency preparedness records
  • Real estate, land and building files

Records will be delivered daily after 2 pm at these locations:

  • Century Place - Main floor Mailroom
  • Chancery Hall - 9th floor, Law Office, front desk (Law Branch records only)
  • City Centre West - Front desk
  • Edmonton Tower - 3rd Floor Records Area

Box pick up for off-site storage at the Corporate Records Centre is on hold, unless the records are available for pick-up in a limited access location. 

Confidential shred bins will not be picked up, nor delivered, until further notice. Please continue to use the bins at your work location for disposing of confidential transitory records. Confidential Transitory Records contain personal, third-party, financial or sensitive information. If the bin in your work area is full, please secure the confidential records in a locked drawer or cabinet until the bin has been emptied and replaced. 

For further information, please contact the Corporate Records Centre:

Corporate Records and Information Management support a city-wide framework for the management of recorded information. This framework includes policies, standards and strategic direction for the creation, security, accessibility, retention, disposition and preservation of records.

Regular Services
Corporate Records Centre staff provide these services:

Pick up, transfer and storage of physical records that must be maintained by the City
Destroy the following physical records in a secure manner:

  • Grey bin contents
  • Records that have been kept as long as required
  • Ensure appropriate records are transferred to the City of Edmonton Archives
  • Assist staff with accessing stored records as required

The Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB) is using a written hearing or appeal process, as approved by the Board Chair. The process is being managed remotely with Board Members. 

The Assessment Review Board (ARB) is using a written hearing process for residential complaints (Local Assessment Review Board, LARBs) and videoconference hearing process for commercial complaints (Composite Assessment Review Board, CARBs), as approved by the Board Chair.  

The Community Standards and License Appeal Committee (CSLAC) is a Committee of Council. On April 15, 2020, Council passed a motion that all CSLAC meetings be suspended until it is determined that it is safe to hold meetings in person.

For more information on the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB), Assessment Review Board (ARB) and Community Standards and License Appeal Committee (CSLAC), please contact:


Civic Agencies

The Civic Agency Team continues to provide services remotely.

At the March 30 City Council meeting, all citizen members interested in and eligible for reappointment were reappointed to their respective committees. Council made a total of 110 reappointments.

At the March 30 City Council meeting, Council directed Administration to develop, in consultation with the appropriate Standing Committee Chairs, a schedule of Standing Committee meetings required for the month of May to complete any outstanding recruitment activities for the appointment of new members to civic agencies. The schedule will be presented to City Council on April 15 for approval.

For more information about Civic Agencies, please contact:

Committees of Council

On March 20, 2020 Council passed the following motion: “That all Committees of Council not convene in-person meetings and utilize technology, where possible, until 8:00am on Monday, April 27, 2020.”  This motion applies to the following:

  • Accessibility Advisory Committee
  • Anti-racism Advisory Committee
  • City of Edmonton Youth Council
  • Community Standards and Licence Appeal Committee
  • Community Services Advisory Board
  • Edmonton Combative Sports Commission
  • Edmonton Design Committee
  • Edmonton Historical Board
  • Edmonton Salutes
  • Edmonton Transit Service Advisory Board
  • Energy Transition Climate Resilience Advisory Committee
  • Independent Council Compensation Committee
  • Naming Committee
  • Ward Boundary Commission
  • Women’s Advocacy Voice of Edmonton Committee

For more information on Committees of Council, please contact: 


Council and Standing Committee Meetings, including Statutory Public Hearings

The following is a schedule of upcoming meetings, as set at the March 30 City Council meeting.  This schedule may be reassessed at the April 15 City Council meeting.  

City Council:
  • April 15, from 9:30am to 5:30pm

  • April 27, from 9:30am to 5:30pm

  • May 11, from 9:30am to 5:30pm

City Council Public Hearings:


  • April 28, from 9:30am to 5:30pm
  • May 12, from 9:30am to 5:30pm

Procedures for remote public participation at Statutory Public Hearings have been developed.

Standing Committees:

All meetings are cancelled until May 15, with the exception of meetings of the Emergency Advisory Committee (as below).

Emergency Advisory Committee:

Meetings will be held weekly on Thursdays, from 1:30-4:30pm, until the declaration of a state of local emergency is terminated.

For more information on Council and Standing Committee meetings, please contact:


Election and Census Office

The Election and Census Office is closed to the public. Election and Census staff continue to provide the same services remotely. The team can be contacted by phone or email at:

Other Permits, Licenses and Payments

Block Party Permit Intake

Block Party Permits are not currently being accepted.

Business Licensing

Most Commercial and Home Based Business licence applications or renewals can be made online.  

Business Licence Fee Reductions
To help support businesses experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 situation, the City is offering a 50 per cent business licence fee reduction upon request for businesses that renew or apply for a new business licence between June 1 and December 31, 2020. To request the fee reduction, please renew or apply for your new licence by calling 780-442-5311 or emailing  


  • By phone at 780-442-5054 (credit card only)
  • Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)
  • By mail

Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

COVID-19 Business Support
We know that businesses have been impacted by COVID-19 and this has been extremely challenging for you. Please visit the City’s COVID-19 business support webpage for information on steps the City is taking to support business owners.

Temporary Patios, Sidewalk Cafes and Outdoor Retail Expansions
Rules around temporary patios, sidewalk cafes and outdoor retail expansions are relaxed so you can create more space for your customers in alignment with Alberta Health Services (AHS) guidelines. Until the end of 2020, you have the option to expand your patio or retail space by following a set of guidelines and signing a declaration form. Read the guidelines and proceed with signing the declaration form.

Reporting Health Order Violation Concerns
Complaints on self-isolation restrictions, mass gatherings and workplaces or businesses not complying with closures should be directed to the Alberta Health Services complaints form.

Please contact or 780-442-5054

Bylaw Ticket Payments

Pay Online

By mail:
City of Edmonton
PO Box 2024
Edmonton, AB T5J 4M6

Commercial Decals

Service can be accessed by contacting

Compliance Certificates

Compliance Certificate applications can be made online or by mail to Edmonton Service Centre, 2nd Floor, 10111 104 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4.

This certificate confirms that all buildings and structures identified on the property have met the regulations under the Zoning Bylaw and have the appropriate development permits. Once reviewed, the applicant will receive a Compliance Certificate Report via email from the City of Edmonton. 

Search of records applications can be made online, by mail or by emailing the pdf application form to

Payments can be made by phone (780-442-5054), Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or by mail. Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Development Permits, Building Permits and Trade Permits

How to Apply

Apply Online

Where applications are not available online, please use the contact methods provided on the website or call 311 for assistance.

Please check our new online dashboard for current building permit and inspection request intake processing time estimates. For Development Permit application processing times, call 311 or 780-442-5311 (Outside Edmonton). 

In order to maintain existing application processing timelines and service levels, development-related services will continue to be provided on a fee for service model at this time.


Payments can be made by phone (780-442-5054), Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or by mail. Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Pre Application Meetings

Pre-Application meetings and Home Improvement Permit Appointments will be done through teleconference only.

Temporary Patios, Sidewalk Cafes and Outdoor Retail Expansions

Rules around temporary patios, sidewalk cafes and outdoor retail expansions are relaxed so you can create more space for your customers in alignment with Alberta Health Services (AHS) guidelines. Until the end of 2020, you have the option to expand your patio or retail space by following a set of guidelines and signing a declaration form. Read the guidelines and proceed with signing the declaration form.


Fire Prevention Office

The Fire Prevention Office is closed, but we are available by phone (780-496-3628) and email.

To discourage public gatherings, we will not issue fireworks permits until further notice.

Fire Payments Transportation

No in-person - full service can be maintained by phone.


To protect the health and safety of our staff and help prevent the spread of COVID-19, we’ve made the below changes to our development, building and trade permit inspection processes.


Available Online
Building and trade permit inspections can be scheduled online using self serve accounts or by calling 311.

Development permit inspections can be requested by emailing

The City is proceeding with lot grading, transportation and landscaping inspections as weather allows. These inspections can be requested through the usual email, ePlan or online request form processes depending on the inspection. We will update you should this decision change due to the COVID-19 situation.

In-person inspections

In-person inspections will not be permitted for occupied residential or commercial sites, with the exception of inspections for some utility service disruptions in occupied homes and businesses, or for unoccupied construction sites where:

  • Distancing safeguards are unsatisfactory
  •  Anyone (such as, contractor, homeowner) has been asked to self-isolate, or is showing cold or flu symptoms
  • Anyone has returned to Canada from outside the country since March 12 and has not yet completed the required 14-day self isolation period (for further direction given this rapidly-changing situation, please refer to the Info for Travellers and Airline Passengers section on

Permit holders at locations where these conditions may apply are requested to reschedule inspections for a later time or consider the below virtual inspection options where applicable.  Please use the online self-serve inspection scheduling tool under the 'INSPECTIONS' heading on your project dashboard, or call 311.

Virtual inspections

To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and keep Edmontonians, contractors and City inspectors safe, the City is now offering virtual inspection options for certain construction projects.

  • Remote Video Inspections (RVI) are available for building and trade permit (HVAC, plumbing, gas and electrical) inspections of occupied spaces within occupied residential and commercial locations. This includes, but is not limited to, projects such as interior alterations, basement developments, additions without a separate entrance, and occupied commercial locations where distancing or other safety protocols cannot be met. RVI enables virtual inspections through connected cellular mobile devices: one operated at the building location by the permit holder and the other by a Safety Codes Officer at a different location.
  • Verification of Compliance (VOC) is available for re-inspection of corrected safety codes deficiencies from an earlier inspection. This method involves a self-declaration and photographic supporting evidence that the identified deficiencies of a previous inspection have been rectified.

Permit holders can request RVIs or re-inspection through photographic evidence by:

Current building permit and inspection request intake processing time estimates are available on our online dashboard. In-person inspections will continue to be required for unoccupied residential and commercial construction sites, most utility service disruptions in occupied homes and businesses, and exterior structures (eg. decks).

Land Development Applications (LDAs)

Applying for LDAs (rezonings, plan amendments, and road closures):

Apply Online

Applicants will be sent an invoice on receipt of a file being accepted.

Payments: By phone at 780-442-5054 (credit card only), Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or by mail. Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Pre-Application meetings will continue to be conducted via teleconference only.

Public Hearings

The City is hosting remote Public Hearings to deal with land use matters. The City will contact applicants scheduled for Public Hearing dates directly to provide further information. 

Engagement Sessions

All City-led in-person public engagement events and information sessions have been postponed until further notice. Feedback is being accepted for certain land development applications through the City's new online Engaged Edmonton virtual engagement tool. 

Pet Licences

Apply Online

Or mail your application to: 
City of Edmonton
PO Box 2670
Edmonton, AB T5J 2G4


Recreation Donation Pass Pick Up

Apply by mail:
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower
10111 104 Avenue, NW
Edmonton AB T5J 0J4

Residential Parking Permits

Apply Online

By email:

By mail:
Parking Permits, 
2nd floor Edmonton Tower
10111 104 Avenue NW Edmonton, AB
T5J 0J4


Servicing Agreements, Engineering Drawing Applications

If you have an account set up:

Apply Online

To create an account, email

Servicing agreements will be provided digitally to developers for execution.

Servicing Agreement Extensions

The City will be providing flexibility around servicing agreement deadlines. Developers can contact the Servicing Agreement team at or the development engineer for the file to discuss extension requests.

Development Bonds

Effective immediately, the City of Edmonton is now accepting development bonds for all new servicing agreements for the 2020 construction season. This will allow developers another option for security, as the City previously only accepted irrevocable letters of credit issued by a bank, or cash security.

To apply for a development bond for your new servicing agreement, please:

Existing Servicing Agreement Securities

Effective July 2, the City of Edmonton is now accepting development bonds for select servicing agreements. Developers who meet the following criteria will be eligible to replace existing security with development bonds:

  • Existing security of $1 million or more
  • Current servicing agreements executed after January 1, 2014

We will contact eligible developers while developing the next phase of the program, which will scale rollout to the remaining 500+ agreements. An initial fee of $500 will be required for this service; however, the fee amount will be reviewed as the program progresses and may be adjusted to reflect the service cost. 

Please contact the development engineer for your file directly or email

Subdivision Applications & Endorsements

Apply Online

Or by emailing

Endorsement packages will be mailed to applicants, as pick up is no longer available.

Pre-application meetings will continue to be conducted via teleconference only.

Payments: By phone at 780-442-5054 (credit card only), Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or by mail. Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Questions? Email

Subdivision & Development Appeal Board (SDAB) Appeals

The Subdivision and Development Appeal Board is offering alternate arrangements to in person hearings.

If you have a hearing that is scheduled, you will be contacted by the SDAB. 

Visit for further updates.

Temporary Outdoor Patios, Sidewalk Cafes and Retail Expansions - City of Edmonton

Rules around temporary patios, sidewalk cafes and outdoor retail expansions are relaxed so you can create more space for your customers in alignment with Alberta Health Services (AHS) guidelines. Until the end of 2020, you have the option to expand your patio or retail space by following a set of guidelines and signing a declaration form. Read the guidelines and proceed with signing the declaration form.

Vehicle for Hire Licence Applications

Submit all Vehicle For Hire Licence applications to 

By phone at 780-442-5054 (credit card only), Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) or by mail. Credit card payments will only be accepted for payments under $5,000, and EFT will only be accepted for payments over $5,000.

Dispatch and Vehicle Licence Fee Reductions

On October 5, 2020, City Council approved a 100% reduction in 2020 dispatch and vehicle licence fees for limousines and a 50% reduction in these fees for all other vehicles for hire.

The fee reductions will be applied when licensees renew their dispatch and vehicle licences or apply for a new licence. For licensees who have already paid their 2020 fees, a credit will be applied to their 2021 fees. The fee reductions are one way the City is helping to relieve concerns about financial strain raised by the industry due to COVID-19.

Vehicle for Hire Service Restrictions
The City of Edmonton issued a State of Local Emergency Order on April 1, 2020, which outlined requirements to support taxi, limo and ride share operators and drivers in reducing the risk of transmission of COVID-19 . This order was repealed as of May 25, 2020. 

The Government of Alberta has since issued new guidance documents for taxi, limo and ride share operators. The Chief Medical Officer of Health’s Order 18-2020 requires businesses to comply to the extent possible with these guidelines.

Reporting Bylaw and Physical Distancing Concerns
Citizens who have concerns about COVID-19 order violations can submit their complaints online

Contact or 780-442-5054.

Tax and Assessment

Property Tax Payments

Property tax payments can be made:

By Mail 

City of Edmonton
PO Box 1982
Edmonton, AB T5J 3X5

Through your bank.

Through the City’s monthly payment plan, which includes automatic bank withdrawals.

Waste Services

Eco Stations

AmblesideKennedale, Coronation and Strathcona Eco Stations are open Tuesday to Saturday, 9am-5pm. They are closed on Sundays, Mondays and Statutory Holidays

Paint exchange is not being accepted at any Eco Station until further notice.

Cash payments no longer accepted until further notice.

Visit for more information.

Reuse Centre

Closed for business, including drop-offs, until further notice.

Edmonton Waste Management Centre

Reduced weekday hours begin June 29:

  • 7:30am-5:30pm, Monday-Friday
  • 8am-5pm, Saturday, Sunday, holidays

Residents and contractors can also visit the Kennedale Eco Station Tuesday to Saturday, 9am-5pm to dispose of most waste items. Double check to make sure your waste will be accepted at an Eco Station before visiting.

Cash payments no longer accepted until further notice.

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content