The High-Rise Apartment Zone (RA9) is the tallest and highest density standard zone in Edmonton’s Zoning Bylaw. The zone is typically located in central neighbourhoods, as well as along existing and planned LRT routes. In summer of 2018, City Council passed a substantial update to the High-Rise Apartment Zone (RA9).
The properties that are zoned High-Rise Apartment Zone (RA9) are shown in this map. The purpose of the project is to update the regulations to address the barriers and issues that were identified by applicants.
This project is currently at the proposed amendment stage.
At the June 25, 2019 Urban Planning Committee meeting, the committee members directed City staff to prepare a bylaw amendment in accordance with the report recommendation. The proposed changes are scheduled for the September 23, 2019 City Council Public Hearing for a final decision.
What We’re Thinking
The barriers and issues identified for consideration include:
- Exempting rooftop indoor amenity space from the calculation of maximum height
- Increased flexibility for landscaping above parkade structures
- Increasing height to account for structural beams where the tower transitions into the foundation
- Small increases in maximum allowable density (10 additional dwellings per hectare when a rooftop amenity is provided)
- Simplifying the setback regulations; and
- Removing regulations that refer to other sections of Zoning Bylaw 12800