The City of Edmonton has reached the eighth year of the 10-year strategic plan, The Way Ahead.
The City is making significant progress on the strategic goals, but we are also mindful of the established targets and resources we have to achieve, or even exceed, them.
This is why the City created The Way Ahead: Implementation Plan. This plan provides a complete picture of the City’s commitments necessary to deliver initiatives that advance The Way Ahead: specifically, the tactics that need to be started and substantially completed by the end of 2018 to achieve or make significant progress toward achieving a 10-year strategic goal.
The Way Ahead: Implementation Plan outlines and describes the 23 initiatives that will drive the City’s strategic actions for the next three years as we approach the completion of the first 10-year plan cycle.
These initiatives will focus on achieving economic resilience, building a sustainable city and creating an open and caring community.
Edmonton is not like other places. Taking a risk is the most Edmonton thing you can do. We’re curious and embrace unique solutions that often turn out brilliantly.
Of the 23 initiatives, here are the ones that focus on achieving Edmonton’s economic resilience:
- Urban Core Developments
- Image and Reputation Management Plan
- Growth Strategy Implementation
- Industrial Development and Investment Plan
- Smart Roads Strategy
- Urban Design Framework
- Entrepreneurial and Innovation Capacity Building
- Regional Goods Movement
Building a healthy city is our focus. Long before it became fashionable, we together with residents and partners accepted the challenge and started to make it happen.
The following nine of the 23 initiatives directly address our move to become a sustainable city:
- New Legislative Framework: City Charter and MGA
- LRT Planning, Construction and Development
- Open Space Plan
- Recreation Facility Master Plan
- Nodes and Corridor Planning
- Edmonton’s Community Energy Transition Strategy Implementation
- Transit Strategy and Implementation
- Facility Renewal Strategy
- Climate Change Adaptation Strategy
Open and Caring Community
The more than 850,000 people who live in Edmonton care. Along with a passion to find the bold ideas that drive our city, you’ll also find a big heart. Success happens when everyone is included and their voices heard.
These six initiatives focus on ensuring that as a community Edmonton is open and caring:
- Open City
- Great Neighbourhoods Implementation
- Social Development Plan
- Aboriginal Inclusion and Participation in Civic Life
- Complete Streets Implementation
- Joint Road Safety Implementation