Main page content begins here

Throughout 2019, the Square will be impacted by Valley Line LRT construction and the Civic Precinct Surface & City Hall Fountain Rehabilitation but remains open to the public. 

The Civic Events Office will work with you to find a suitable location for your event. 

How much does it cost to book Churchill Square?

The fee structure for Churchill Square is currently under review. Events will be charged for any civic services necessary to run the event and additional space usage fees may apply.

Will the City provide civic services for my event?

Civic services may be accessed for your event on an "as available" basis. Once you have completed the Civic Event Application process, a Festival and Events Liaison will work with you to identify the support services your event may require.

Typical support services include the following: Special Duty Edmonton Police Service, permits, road closures, custodial services and access to electrical panels.

At our office, we understand that each and every event is different. The cost of your event is dependent on the incremental civic service fees associated with hosting your event on City property. Costs are allocated on a cost recovery basis only. Your Liaison will work with the various departments which are involved in hosting your event - to project their anticipated costs and make you aware of those costs prior to hosting your event.

Is Sir Winston Churchill Square considered parkland?

Yes, the Square is on City of Edmonton parkland which is governed by the Parkland Bylaw 2202.

The purpose of this bylaw is to regulate the conduct and activities of people on parkland to promote safe, enjoyable and reasonable use of such property and protect and preserve natural ecosystems for the benefit of all citizens of the City.

Can I hold a public rally on the Square?

Yes, you can hold a public rally on the Square.

Group activities and events attended by more than 50 people require a permit.

Such permits have been included under the Parkland Bylaw to allow City staff to manage resources and potential issues effectively and efficiently. When City staff know that your group is coming to parkland, they will ensure the site can accommodate your event and plan ahead for special services like extra garbage pickup. In addition, they will alert you to any conflicts with other groups coming to the same site and inform you if any other permits are required.

Can I drive a vehicle onto the Square?

Permission must be obtained to bring vehicles onto the Square. This will be included in the official paperwork you will receive from the City.

There are specific weight loads that can be accommodated on the various surfaces of the Square and Civic Events staff will work with you to identify the most appropriate area for you to locate your event.

Event organizers will be required to place sheets of plywood under all parked vehicles to catch any oil or gas droppings from the vehicles.

Does the Square have a stage and sound system I can use?

The Square does not have an elevated stage or sound system; however, you can bring in temporary staging and sound for your event at your cost.  

How do I ensure that I have contacted all City departments for required services?

Once you have completed the Civic Event Application process, you will have the opportunity to review all of the operational requirements for your event with the Civic Events Office and your assigned Festival and Events Liaison.

The Festival and Events liaison will coordinate the request for and delivery of all Civic Services.

Can I have animals on display in the Square?

Generally, animals are not allowed on parkland unless specifically permitted through signs, permits or other Bylaw exemptions granted for a specific reason.

A dog may be on the Square as long as there are no food vendors or food service on site, and the dog is on a leash not exceeding 2 metres in length and under control.

All requests for the display of animals on Churchill Square will be evaluated based on the type, size, and weight of the animal; the total number of animals on display; the type of proposed protective enclosures;  provisions for protecting the animals and the general population, and proposed measures to protect the surface of the Square.

Do I need to complete a booking form if my event requires minimal setup?

Yes. When Civic Events staff are aware that you will be coming to the Square, they will ensure the site can accommodate your event. They can also plan ahead for special services, alert you to any conflicts with other groups coming to the same site and inform you of any permits that may be required.

How can I book the Square?

Visit our Civic Event Application section and we'll get started!

For More Information

Civic Events and Festivals Section


Before you call: please note that we can only assist you with events taking place in River Valley Parks and Roads. Please visit Application Process: Neighbourhood Parks or Block Parties to book those type of events.

Fax 780-944-0042

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content