Main page content begins here

Contact your Insurance Company or Agent as soon as possible after a fire. If you are renting or leasing property, contact the owner as well.

Renting/Leasing Insurance

If you are renting or leasing, DO NOT assume you are covered by the owner’s insurance. In most cases, the tenant is obliged to provide his own coverage. If you do not have your own tenant’s policy, check with the property owner. In some instances there may be insurance coverage included in the lease. Take nothing for granted; it could cost you money.

Living Expenses

The Insurance Bureau of Canada has advised Edmonton Fire Rescue Services that most homeowners and tenants insurance will pay for reasonable additional living expenses if your premises are unfit for occupancy or you have to move out while repairs be being made, because of the fire. Keep your receipts for all expense incurred as a result of the fire for review by the adjusters. Reimbursement limits will vary from company to company.


It is the responsibility of the occupant to secure the property as well as possible after the fire, to prevent further loss. Your adjuster, once contacted, can assist you in this regard. If you are unable to contact your insurance company, professional contractors can help. Check the Yellow Pages.

For More Information


In Edmonton: 311

Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content