Main page content begins here

Important documents can be damaged or destroyed as a result of a fire, flood or other disaster. Access to these documents is often essential to your well being. Here is a list of documents that should be located if possible. Locating these documents will hasten the process of recovering from a disaster.

Identity Documents

  • Birth Certificate
  • Citizenship Papers
  • Driver's Licence
  • Divorce Decree
  • Marriage Licence
  • Passport
  • Old Age Security Card
  • Social Insurance Card

Individuals on Employment Insurance should notify their caseworker if their ID card is damaged or destroyed.

Copies of marriage and divorce records can be obtained from the province in which the marriage or divorce occurred.

Copies of birth and death certificates can be obtained from the Provincial Division of Vital Statistics.

Other Documents

  • Animal Registration
  • Bank Book
  • Death Certificates
  • Income Tax Records
  • Insurance Policies
  • Land Titles
  • Medical Records
  • Stocks and Bonds
  • Title to Deeds
  • Vehicle Registration
  • Warranties
  • Wills

Fire Safes

After a fire, don't attempt to open your safe until its exterior is cool to the touch. Intense heat may be contained for hours and if the door is opened before the safe has a chance to cool down, the contents may burst into flame.

For More Information


In Edmonton: 311

Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content