The River Valley Road/Groat Road Interchange approved concept plan is now available for review.
Highlights of the plan include:
- A widened and realigned shared-use path down to River Valley Road from the Groat Road Bridge
- A new signalized intersection at River Valley Road that is activated by pedestrians or cyclists crossing the intersection or by vehicles approaching from the Groat Road off-ramp
- Improvements to Victoria Park Road westbound to Groat Road
- Improvement to the intersection accessing Government House Park
A summary of What We Heard from the May 26 – June 15, 2015 online survey about the project’s Recommended Concept Plan is also available for review.
About the Project
The City of Edmonton is developing a long-range concept plan for the River Valley Road / Groat Road interchange. The area serves as a commuter and recreational route for all forms of traffic, including cyclists and pedestrian, with access to the downtown area, the University of Alberta and the River Valley park system.
The existing interchange can be confusing for drivers, and also has several conflict points between drivers and cyclists/pedestrians. The concept plan will examine possible improvements considering:
- Safety and interaction of all methods of transportation
- Current use and travel patterns
- Traffic flow requirements
- Access to adjacent parks
Any recommended reconstruction resulting from The River Valley Road / Groat Road interchange planning project will not overlap with the 102 Avenue over Groat Road Bridge Replacement project currently underway. The anticipated completion date for bridge replacement is fall 2015, while the earliest construction could start on this project is 2016, and only if funding becomes available.
This concept plan does not include any modifications or improvements to the bridges in the area.
Where We Are Today
Input from stakeholders was collected in September and October 2014, with an Open House to present draft concept plans on November 19, 2014.
The recommended concept plan is now complete. There is currently no funding identified for the construction of improvements at the River Valley Road / Groat Road interchange, therefore exact construction timelines are unknown.