Review, comment, and gain information on the project
May 2017 - Complete Detailed Design Drawings
Summer / Fall 2017 - Construction
Remove and replace existing boardwalk. Construction will take approximately 10 weeks to complete.
The Whitemud Boardwalk Replacement Project aims to develop a solution that will avoid future ice heave, maintain the existing trail connection, limit impacts to the surrounding natural environment, and ensure safe public use. The City of Edmonton has explored a potential new design for the boardwalk.
Key factors informing concept design:
- Relocate boardwalk further away from Whitemud Creek to reduce potential damage from ice
- Environmental Impact Assessment and Site Location Study to ensure project location and construction have minimal environmental impacts
- These will be taken to City Council for approval prior to construction
- Removal of stairs to improve walkability and access for strollers
- No mature tree removals
- Geotechnical testing providing information on potential foundation and slope stability issues
- Improved animal passage under boardwalk