The City has a number of major projects planned for downtown Edmonton. Catalyst Projects in the Capital City Downtown Plan are intended to yield improved infrastructure, increased urban densification, increased economic activity in the core, and greater transit connectivity. Potential projects include:
- Capital Boulevard – 108 Street between 99 Avenue and 104 Avenue has been transformed by beautiful streetscape improvements that make it more pedestrian-friendly.
- The Galleria – a major initiative in downtown that will connect the arts, businesses and Edmontonians.
- Jasper Avenue – This project will re-establish Jasper Avenue as the main street of Edmonton, making it a place all Edmontonians can be proud of as well as a symbol of the vitality of the downtown and Edmonton as a whole.
- Central Warehouse Housing Initiative – a push to redevelop the largely undeveloped Central Warehouse area of downtown through medium-density, family oriented residences.
- Warehouse Campus Central Park – the development of a major park in this underdeveloped northwest area of downtown.
- Civic Precinct – a number of improvements to this area at the very heart of the downtown core are planned, including the construction of an at-grade LRT station on 102 Avenue.
- River Valley Promenades – a program of expansion and enhancement of the pedestrian connections to the Heritage Trail system in the downtown, improving access to the river valley and downtown neighbourhoods.
- Enterprise Square – an art gallery created in partnership with the University of Alberta that presents a new opportunity for collaboration between the City of Edmonton and the University of Alberta.