About the Project Area
A concept plan has been developed illustrating the modifications required to remove the 149 Street intersection as part of the Yellowhead Trail Freeway Conversion Program. The project will eliminate the current north/south connection of 149 Street across Yellowhead Trail and includes one-way service roads that run parallel to Yellowhead Trail on the north and south sides.
142 Street and 143 Street on the northside of Yellowhead Trail will be closed, eliminating the current westbound to southbound movement to 142 Street. Eastbound access to 142 Street and St. Albert Trail will be solely from the one way service road on the southside of Yellowhead Trail. There will be ramp modifications to the interchanges at 156 Street and St. Albert Trail to accommodate changes in the traffic patterns.
The concept plan for Yellowhead Trail at 149 Street was developed after an extensive public engagement process in 2014. The City worked closely with a group of area stakeholders and members of the public to review alternatives and develop the recommended plan.
Public Engagement for all of the Yellowhead Trail Freeway Conversion projects has been compiled and can be found at Public Engagement. This includes engagement activities for each of the projects that make up the conversion of Yellowhead Trail from 156 Street to 50 Street.
Modifications will be made to 3 roads that run parallel to Yellowhead Trail to support new traffic patterns.
124 Avenue - 142 Street to 149 Street
Road changes planned for 124 Avenue:
- A new sidewalk on the south side of 124 Avenue
- Intersection modifications for truck turning movements
- Access modifications for some sites*
- Removal of on-street parking
- Removal of the railway crossing
- New driving lane configuration:
- One lane of travel in each direction
- Center left turning lane (two way left turn)
Timeline: Designs will be finalized in 2018 with construction planned to start in spring 2019. Construction is currently anticipated to be complete in fall 2019.
Past engagement activities in this area included:
- Meetings with affected property owners in April 2018
- A “Coffee Chat” engagement event was held on June 4, 2018 with the purpose of collecting input for construction considerations from local business owners/ operators
124 Avenue Draft Preliminary Design Plan - 142 Street to 149 Street
There are no further engagement opportunities with this project. A report will be available detailing public engagement once design decisions are made.
123 Avenue - 142 Street to 156 Street
Road changes planned for 123 Avenue:
- Widening to accommodate four lanes from 156 Street to 149 Street
- Intersection improvements for truck movements
- Addition of a sidewalk
Timeline: Design work will begin in late 2018 with construction tentatively planned to begin in 2020.
Where We Are Now
Design work is underway for changes to 124 Avenue between 142-149 Streets and 128 Avenue between 156 Street and St. Albert Trail. Additional design work will begin in late 2018.
Yellowhead Trail Is Changing
Stay informed with program updates and opportunities to have your say in shaping the new Yellowhead Trail.