Main page content begins here

Depending on what type of pond you are constructing, you may require both Development and Building permits.

About the Service

If you're planning to dig out an area to hold a body of water deeper than 600 mm (24 inches) on your property, you will require a building permit. This applies to ponds and water landscape features.

Depending on the size, if the body of water is contained within a structure above ground, you may require a development permit in addition to the building permit.


The Alberta Building Code requires that the contained body of water be as safe as possible at all times. Under the code, if a body of water is 2 feet or more in depth, it is considered the same as a swimming pool.

A building permit would be required and the same guidelines as required for a swimming pool would apply.


The yard with the pond must have a fence with a minimum height of 1.8m (6ft) and must completely enclose the pond.

The gate on the fence must be the same height as the fence, and must be self-closing.

The latch must lock and be installed on the inside of the gate at least 1.5 m (5 ft) off the ground.

These regulations apply to a contained body of water.

How Do I Obtain the Service?

Apply Online

Create an account, apply, pay and check application status.


Contractors and Professionals


Apply In Person

  • Fill in the Residential Construction Application form.
  • Include all additional documentation that pertains to the type of construction project.
  • Your property's municipal address and legal description (plan number, block and lot as shown on your tax notice)
  • If there is an existing fence around your property and it meets the requirement, submit a letter of confirmation along with your application.
  • All application fees.


  1. The application may be reviewed by a development officer.
  2. When approval is given, the application will be reviewed by a safety code officer for approval.


A final inspection is mandatory. Contact our office at 311 to arrange for the inspection once the work is complete.

To prepare for the required inspections in occupied homes, please ensure:

  • an individual 18 years of age or older who is responsible for the property is present during the inspection
  • clear and unobstructed access to all areas of inspection is provided
  • all pets are securely contained

Please note: the Safety Codes Officers are required to wear shoes while performing their duties in your home.

In Person

City of Edmonton
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4

Office Hours: 8am-4:30pm
Monday to Friday


Address as listed above. Cheques should be made out to the City of Edmonton.  Please allow for extra processing time when mailing application.

By Phone 311 for 24-hour information and access to City of Edmonton programs and services. Or, if outside Edmonton, 780-442-5311.

2019 Fees

Effective January 1, 2019

Development permit fee: $118

Building permit fee: $110

The safety code fee: $4.50

Contact the City About This Service

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB  T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm

Contact us online


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

City Services

View all City Services

I Want To...

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content