Yes. The City offers Assisted Waste Collection.
The City of Edmonton provides garbage collection to all residents of Edmonton.
The City provides waste pickup only where population density allows. If you're not in a collection area, you can arrange for collection on a cost-of-service basis by calling the Waste Management Customer Support Centre at 780-496-5698.
Items that are accepted include:
- regular bagged food waste, packaging, smaller worn-out household items
- bundled or bagged yard and garden waste (tied branches must be under 4ft long)
- rags/old clothes, broken dishes
- broken glass (inside a marked puncture-proof container)
- floor sweepings and sawdust. Please be sure to bag dusty materials. Note: All material must be properly bagged, bundled or put in approved cans. Please keep the weight to less than 20 kg so there's no risk of injury to your collector.
Please help us collect your waste more efficiently - Buddy-up your garbage and blue bags with your neighbour!
If you have front street collection:
- place your garbage at the curb
- remember to park your vehicle in your driveway
- if there's road construction, put your waste where it is accessible
If your collection is in your rear lane:
- place garbage within 3 metres (10 feet) of the rear lane
- ensure the waste cans are easily accessible
- if there is construction in the lane, place your waste at the front curb
Items that are not accepted include:
- household hazardous waste (oven cleaners, paints, motor oil, pesticides, toilet cleaners, batteries, propane tanks, light bulbs, solvents, computer equipment)
- large items (mattresses, box springs, furniture, televisions, stereos, sofas)
- large appliances (fridges, stoves, freezers, dishwashers, hot water tanks)
- building/renovation material (wood with nails sticking out, drywall, carpeting, lumber)
- tree stumps/roots, manure, dirt or sod
- tires, large metal auto parts
Garbage and recycling are collected weekly on the same day of the week year-round, including statutory holidays. The only exception will be Christmas Day and New Year’s Day.
Residents are asked to check this website for alternative days closer to those dates.
To find your weekly collection day, visit the collection schedule page.
Garbage and blue bags must be out by 7am.
Your garbage can should be:
- less than 100 litres in volume
- have a secure, easily removable lid
- have fixed (non-swiveling) handles
View the garbageman's choice poster to see a photo of the right can.
Waste will not be collected from oversize garbage cans. Residents who set out oversize garbage containers could face a $60 fine.