Student Projects - Award of Excellence
*Please note: This Student Project is hypothetical in nature and does not represent the position of the City of Edmonton.
Designer: Teauge McCrae
Advising Professors: Christine Macy, Roger Mullin
Location: Rossdale Flats
This competition entry is a design proposal for the Rossdale Flats, including: the Rossdale Generating Station, Water Treatment Facility, and all related buildings on the Rossdale property. In realizing the importance of history and culture in Edmonton and the urgency for conserving these places, this proposal calls for a site that goes beyond idle conservation policies. It re-integrates natural vegetation regions into the landscape. It recognizes the significant histories and rituals that previously (as well as currently) belong to the site. It blends urban and natural boundaries in order to draw people to the site, and provides a protective environmental buffer zone. In other words, it is a cultural landscape that offers an interpretive memorial park and museum that aim at delivering new perspectives on the past, on nature, and on the co-existence of urban and environmental systems for the future. If it is successful in delivering these objectives, it is likely to secure a future in Edmonton's River Valley.
The Generating Station is the most significant building in the Rossdale Flats. It is also the primary building designated for adaptive reuse under this proposal. This entry proposes that it undergo a change in use to highlight the buildings' history and site context. It will function as museum and interpretive centre for regional art and artefacts, in addition to becoming a museum artifact itself.
- This project presents a very mature, well-considered design proposal
- This presentation contained the best site plan in whole competition and should be given a special mention for the quality of the presentation and communication
- A very thorough analysis; covered all scales of intervention from City to details
- Aspirational for City Of Edmonton
- Excellent example of repurposing the site and buildings
- An excellent example of creating a new city-wide destination, cultural landscape and excellent public realm