Listed here are the questions on the Small Business Eco Challenge online form. You may copy and paste the questions to the word processing software of your choice (for example, MS Word, Google Docs) and take the time to consider the questions before submitting.
To submit, please return to the online form. Deadline is 4pm on Friday, September 26, 2014.
Type of Business:
Number of Employees: 1-10 / 11-50 / 51-100
Years in Business (Min 1):
Please tell us a bit more about the nature of your business:Tell us about how your business and staff are protecting the environment. Answer all relevant questions and provide as much detail as possible.
Energy and Climate Change
What steps have you taken to reduce energy use or greenhouse gas emissions?
How do you:
- measure energy use?
- implement energy reduction strategies?
- purchase green energy?
- complete green renovations?
- make use of more sustainable/alternative or renewable energy sources?
How do you support Edmonton’s local farmers or food suppliers?
How do you:
- purchase or supply locally sourced foods and/or beverages?
- build direct relationships with local producers and are you familiar with their production methods?
- determine what percentage of your food is grown locally?
How do you reduce, reuse and/or recycle waste in your operations?
How do you:
- reduce packaging?
- reduce the use of toxic and environmentally harmful chemicals?
- reduce your waste stream through improving efficiency in how you do business? For example: How have you been able to contribute to waste reduction in your production or supply chain? For your customers?
Healthy Ecosystems – Land
What do you do to protect the land or natural environment in the area of your business or in your business operations?
How do you contribute to protecting or enhancing natural landscapes? Examples include:
- Good land use practices such as operating from a dense or mobility-oriented location in the city.
- Protecting, preserving, and regenerating ecosystems and increasing biodiversity.
- Protecting agricultural lands.
- Avoiding the creation of, or managing and mitigating brownfields and contaminated sites.
- Maintaining flower gardens or edible landscapes, reducing pesticide use, and grasscycling by leaving grass clippings on lawns.
Healthy Ecosystems – Water
What do you do to protect and/or conserve water?
How do you:
- implement water conservation practices?
- reduce stormwater runoff?
- reduce greywater and blackwater discharges through low flush toilets and water-efficient fixtures in your building?
- collect and use rainwater?
- link water conservation with energy efficiency? For example, turn down hot water temperatures or use cold water instead of hot water when possible.
Healthy Ecosystems – Air
What does your company do to protect and/or improve Edmonton’s air quality?
- How have you been able to reduce your overall emissions and costs by changing the ways your produce, deliver, or transport goods and/or services?
- If you use company vehicles, how do you maintain these for optimal energy-efficient performance?
- How often do you or your staff partcipate in energy-efficient commutes to and from work and for business purposes?
- How do you incorporate practical ways to reduce emissions? For example, being idle free.
- How you implemented measures that will improve indoor air quality at your place of business?