Thorough planning will allow applicants to have a more detailed understanding of the requirements for the later phases for their proposed facility.
The Planning Grant will fund work up to the end of concept phase at 50% of eligible costs. To support further project development the grant may also fund the schematic design of the project at 33% of eligible costs.
Anything past schematic design should not be included in a project planning application. If schematic design is included in a planning grant application, it may not be included in a Construction Grant application for the same project.
See Community Group Led Construction Projects Guide and Templates for detailed information about phases, definitions and expectations.
Contact the Grants Office to be assigned a City Liaison if you do not currently have one.
- Generally a planning project should cost at least $50,000
- The program will fund more than 1 planning grant for the same proposed facility.
- The planning grant supports the development of a business case
- The grant also supports feasibility studies, planning studies, public engagement plan, basic concept drawings and may include schematic drawings (detailed design or construction drawings are not eligible)
- Verification of board support
- Confirmation the project aligns with the applicant’s and the City of Edmonton’s strategic goals and objectives
- Confirmation of landowner permission–this may include documentation of property ownership, confirmation from owner the project is acceptable within the terms of the lease/license agreement and permission to undertake the project
- Proof the proposed facility is an acceptable use for zoning
The following documents are required and must be submitted as attachments with your online application when applying for planning grant funding.
Required Documents Checklist (printable version)
- First time applicants only – Constitutional documents (must be date stamped by Alberta Corporate Registries) including:
- Application for incorporation
- Articles of incorporation
- Memorandum of association
- Articles of association and bylaws
- Any amendments to the Constitutional Documents not already submitted to the Grants Office (must be date stamped by Alberta Registries)
- Most recent proof of filing of annual return
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Form and VOID cheque (only required if EFT information hasn't been provided previously or if information needs to be updated)
Approvals to Undertake Project
Approvals to Undertake Project
- Organization minutes to confirm project has approval of the board
- Project on city land:
- City of Edmonton confirmation that the project is acceptable within the terms of the lease/license agreement
- Aligns with the community group and City of Edmonton’s strategic goals and objectives (obtained through your City liaison).
- Project on private land:
- Documentation verifying ownership by applicant
- If property not owned by applicant, letter from landlord confirming permission to undertake project or excerpt from lease/license confirming permission to undertake project
- Annual audited (or reviewed) financial statements for most recent fiscal year
- Prior year’s information must be included for comparison and minimally must include the following 2 statements:
- Statement of Financial Position (Balance Sheet)
- Statement of Operations (Statement of Revenue and Expenses, Income Statement)
- Bank statements including balances for the same period ending as the Statement of Financial Position–only required if annual statements not prepared by third party Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA)
- Bank reconciliation including outstanding cheques at the same period ending as the Statement of Financial Position–only required if annual statements not prepared by third party CPA
- Year to date financial statements
- Statement of Financial Position (Balance Sheet)–no older than end of February (current year)
- Statement of Operations (Statement of Revenue and Expenses, Income Statement)–no older than end of February (current year)
- Bank statement including balances for the same period ending as the Statement of Financial Position (Balance Sheet)
- Bank reconciliation including outstanding cheques at the same period ending as the Statement of Financial Position (Balance Sheet)
For Online Applications
Before You Apply
- Get to know the grant purpose, policy and guidelines
- Read the grant guide for each grant program to ensure you qualify
- Ensure you have your Account ID and registered organization email with the City of Edmonton Grants Office
Do you know your Grant Account ID?
With our online grant applications, you will need two pieces of information to apply to any grant program:
- Your City of Edmonton grants assigned account ID
- Your organization or applicant email that is registered with the City of Edmonton Grants Office
To create or retrieve your City of Edmonton account ID:
- Fill out the Account ID Request Form and a city employee will get back to you within 2 business days with your account information
If you have any issues with the online application form, please call the Grants Office for assistance at 780-496-4933.
Need to update your account information?
Once you enter your Account ID and Organization email, your account information will automatically populate on the application. If you noticed that your information is not correct in our system (for example, an address change or main contact change), please contact our office as soon as possible to update your account. Incorrect information can result in a delay or inability to process your grant request.
To update your account: