Family Violence Prevention
Family Violence Prevention Month Proclamation Event
Families are the Fabric of our Community - We All Deserve to be Safe
Date: Monday, November 3, 2014
It can happen to anyone. Family violence and partner abuse can happen in all cultural, racial and religious groups and at all income levels. Women, children and men can be victims of family violence.
We can help. Family violence services are free to all Edmontonians.
Stand Together - End the Silence - Stop the Violence
- An opportunity to talk to a professional social worker about your personal situation and concerns.
- Assistance connecting with resources you need.
- Counselling for individuals who have experienced control, violence or abuse in their intimate partner relationships.
- Referrals to appropriate community programs for individuals who are concerned about their abusive behaviours toward family members or intimate partners.
Domestic Violence Intervention Teams
The Domestic Violence Intervention Teams are a partnership between social workers from City of Edmonton Community Services and constables from Edmonton Police Service. The teams:
- Contact victims after there has been a police report of domestic violence.
- Assess risk and provide safety options and support to victims.
- Help with police investigations.
- Make recommendations to the court for bail and sentencing.
- Partner with other agencies to assist victims.
Safe Connection Cell Phone Program
Safe Connection was formed to provide cell phones for victims of family violence. The phone helps victims feel safe, connected and helps them regain their sense of safety and empowerment.
This partnership was formed between the City of Edmonton Community Services, Edmonton Police Foundation, Rogers, 630 CHED radio, Digital Communications, Crystal Glass, Nokia and the Edmonton Police Service.
City of Edmonton social workers are in charge of distributing the phones to women in need.
Family Violence Support Groups
The City of Edmonton offers a variety of registered and drop-in groups for those who have experienced control, abuse or violence in an intimate partner relationship. All groups are facilitated by professional social workers. There is no cost to attend and free child care is available for most groups.
Other Group Programs
For more information:
Neighbourhoods, Parks and Community Recreation
|Title||Assessment and Short-Term Counselling Services|