The ETS Live® Bus Finder allows customers to find their bus in real-time. ETS Live® Bus Finder is available for desktops and mobile devices.
Frequently Asked Questions
The mobile version of the ETS Live® Bus Finder’s real-time map tracks buses only up to the stop level. This is due to the large amounts of data required on the mobile website to continuously refresh the real-time map. Manual refresh is required. The desktop version displays where buses are on the route and automatically refreshes.
A trip planning component was not included in phase 1 of the Smart Bus initiative. As we proceed with phase 2 - equipping the bus fleet with Smart Bus equipment - ETS delivers real-time information to third party developers to use for trip planning that takes real time information into account when planning trips.
The existing ETS Trip Planner will continue to exist and function as it does now by planning trips based on scheduled information. It will be replaced in the future when ETS consolidates the information tools as part of Phase 2 of the Smart Bus Initiative.
In most cases, yes, but in a few situations, the line trace on the map shows the entire route a bus may run, including any extensions that are limited to certain days or time periods. Always check the schedule to see where your bus is running. The schedule data will indicate if the bus travels along that extension on the day you’re planning to travel.
Buses will only display in the list if they are running on that day. Check the date to ensure you’re selecting a day when the route runs. Also, route maps are not available outside Edmonton city limits.
Or, you can select ETS Route Schedules, choose your route and select "Get Schedule". From there, you can select "Select Specific Stops". This will ask you how you want to view the schedule - by timing points only, all stops, or by selecting from the list of stops below. You can choose any of the options, and then select "Get Schedule".
The ETS Real-Time Map is integrated with Google Maps and displays the current bus location, updated every 20 seconds. The map is also available in satellite and street view. Smart Bus routes display bus icons moving in real-time on the map. When you select a bus icon, its real-time status is displayed. When you select a stop, it will show both the scheduled times and the estimated real-time departure from that stop.
The mobile version of the ETS Live® Bus Finder’s real-time map tracks buses only up to the stop level. To see the real-time location of your bus on your mobile device, do the following:
- Go to takeETS.com/ETSLive and "Launch ETS Live Bus Finder"
- Tap "Bus Stop Schedules" (bus icon in the top right-hand corner) or use “Stop Finder” (magnifier icon in the top right-hand corner)
- Type in a stop that is serviced by Smart Bus routes
- Tap "Get Bus Schedules"
- Smart Bus routes will display the scheduled time and estimated departure time
- Tap on the highlighted coloured “Map” icon. This will show you where your bus is in real-time. Grey map icons display for all other routes
- Tap “Refresh” to update the real-time location of your bus
A real-time map is not available for the entire route in the mobile version. "Route Schedules" (clock icon in the top right-hand corner) displays scheduled departure times.
The bus icons are colour coded to identify their current status at a glance:
- Green = on time (defined as up to 2 minutes before and 3 minutes after the scheduled time)
- Blue = early (defined as more than 2 minutes before the scheduled time)
- Red = late (defined as more than 3 minutes after the scheduled time)
- Grey = unable to communicate or off route
A grey bus icon may be visible for one of the following reasons:
- The bus assigned to the route is unable to communicate with ETS Live® Bus Finder. In this situation, the grey bus icon travels along the route following the scheduled times, rather than the actual location of the bus.
- The bus assigned to the route has deviated from the scheduled route (detour). In this case, the bus vehicle number is known and follows the actual path of the bus as a grey bus icon.
For best results using ETS Live® Bus Finder (desktop), please use the current version of the following browsers:
- Chrome (Windows)
- Firefox (Windows)
- Safari (Windows and Mac)
- Internet Explorer (Windows)
For best results using ETS Live® Bus Finder (mobile), please use one of the following mobile devices:
- iPhone, iPad (native browser)
- Blackberry (native browser)
- Android (native browser)
ETS Live® Bus Finder may exhibit some inconsistencies with certain android devices. If that is the case, try another browser. (for example, Chrome, Firefox)
In past tools, there was only a single option when viewing a route schedule, which was to see the full schedule. ETS Live® Bus Finder allows customers to select a time so they can view the portion of the route schedule that is relevant to them, excluding buses in the past that aren’t relevant to the current search. The full schedule can still be viewed by adjusting the time to the start of that day. Time will always default to the current time on the device the ETS Live® Bus Finder is being accessed on.