The Province of Alberta amended the Municipal Government Act in 2008. Municipalities now have additional options for land uses on vacant surplus reserve school sites. Municipalities can use surplus reserve school sites for:
- Recreational facility
- Public library
- Police station, a fire station or an ambulance services facility or a combination of them
- Non-profit day care facility
- Non-profit senior citizens facility
- Non-profit special needs facility
- Municipal facility providing service directly to the public
- Public Park
- Affordable housing
Any development would only occur on land originally intended for the school building and its adjacent parking area (known as the “building envelope”).
In order to develop another use, Council would have to hold a public hearing at which time, recommendations would be made to remove the reserve designation and to amend the appropriate statutory plan(s).