Research shows that energy efficiency is the cheapest and most effective way to reduce energy use and greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction, which in turn, helps reduce our effect on climate change.
The EnerGuide for Homes program will help homeowners increase the energy efficiency and comfort of their homes. Here are some answers to common questions about the program.
An EnerGuide home evaluation provides you with a comprehensive service:
- A visit by an Energy Advisor - An energy advisor will come to your home to evaluate your home’s energy performance from the basement to the attic. These energy experts bring industry expertise right to your door.
- An EnerGuide rating and home label - An EnerGuide rating demonstrates the energy performance of a home and the label is proof of that energy rating.
- Recommendations - Personalized recommendations may be provided through an evaluation report. These recommendations can help you make decisions about which upgrades or renovations would save the most energy and money while also improving the overall comfort in your home.
The EnerGuide label shows how much energy your home uses and compares it to a typical new house of similar style.
- Improve your comfort and living environment - Improving energy performance by upgrading insulation, heating and ventilation systems or windows will give you a home that is better insulated and air sealed. These types of upgrades can reduce cold spots, drafts and noise and provide more even temperatures and cleaner air in your home.
- Learn how your home can save you money - An evaluation can take the guesswork out of which upgrades would work best for your home and save you most on utility bills.
- Invest in your home and get value in return - Also, the energy performance improvements you make and an EnerGuide label to prove it can be an important selling point to prospective buyers. It may show the home’s performance has been improved which in turn reduces the utility costs for any future occupants.
- Empower your community - Improve the energy performance of your home and become part of the solution for using energy efficiently and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- Be ready - position yourself to apply for future incentives from various levels of government.
The objective of this program is to inspire Edmontonians to improve home energy efficiency by providing more complete information on energy performance. Having information on a home’s energy performance and what can be done to improve its energy efficiency is key to reducing the home’s energy use and reducing the community’s greenhouse gases. However, for this home improvement to be included in the home’s valuation, the information must be consistently disclosed. Public disclosure of home energy performance provides the following benefits:
- Engages the market in energy conservation
- Allows for the inclusion of energy performance in the real estate transaction
- Give recognition to builders of high performing homes
- Protects buyers and consumers and investors by providing accurate information on the home’s energy performance
- Encourages energy efficiency improvements by providing information on renovations that can be done