You may cast your vote using a Special (Mail-in) Ballot if you are an eligible voter and unable to make it to an Advance Vote or Election Day (Monday October 16, 2017) voting station because you are:
- Physically incapacitated
- Absent from the local jurisdiction
(City of Edmonton)
- An election worker, candidate, official agent or scrutineer located at a voting station other than the one designated for your place of residence
Requesting and Returning a Special (Mail-in) Ballot
- Request a Special (Mail-in) Ballot starting August 1, 2017
- Requests accepted until 4:30pm on Election Day (October 16, 2017)
- Special (Mail-in) Ballot packages will be available following Nomination Day, starting September 22, 2017
- Completed Special (Mail-in) Ballots must be received by the Elections & Census Office (16304 - 114 Avenue) by 7pm on Election Day in order to be counted
- Special (Mail-in) Ballots will not be accepted at Advance Vote or Election Day voting stations
Special (Mail-in) Ballot Process
- Select your Special Ballot application method. Online applications are preferred. Email, mail, phone and fax applications are also accepted, along with in person applications at the Elections & Census Office or the Office of the City Clerk (City Hall).
- Your application will be evaluated by Edmonton Elections for completeness and eligibility. If you’ve selected to receive notifications, you’ll receive a phone/text/email message from Edmonton Elections regarding the status of your Special Ballot application.
- Special Ballot packages will be printed following Nomination Day and will be ready starting Friday September 22, 2017.
- After receiving the Special Ballot package, follow the instructions included and complete the ballot. You will need to provide a photocopy of your authorized identification (confirming your name and residential address) attached to the outside of the Special Ballot Certificate Envelope. Do not provide your original identification.
- Return your Special Ballot package by mail, or by dropping it off at the Elections & Census Office or Office of the City Clerk in City Hall. Special Ballot packages must be returned to the Elections & Census Office by 7pm on Election Day (Monday October 16, 2017) in order to be counted. Special Ballot packages are not accepted at Advance Vote or Election Day voting stations.