The City is committed to having a diverse workforce that is reflective of the communities we serve. We believe that by including and valuing diverse perspectives, we can better serve the needs of all Edmontonians and continue to build our great city.
We formalize this commitment in the City's Diversity & Inclusion Framework. Did you know that we measure the diversity demographics of our workforce every 2 years? We are proud to say we have a workforce that is reflective of the external labour market and we continue to be dedicated to further diversifying the workforce in targeted occupations.
Why is Having a Diverse Workforce Important?
- Allows us to better connect with the citizens we serve
- Diverse perspectives and thoughts foster creativity and innovation
- Improves the culture of our workplace
The Recruitment Outreach & Work Experience Programs Team implements talent acquisition programs and initiatives that support the City’s diversification of the workforce goals. We have innovative employment programs like: Abilities@Work, From Books to Building a Great City, Unpaid Practicum Placements, Indigenous Peoples Summer Student Program and Career Connect@City Hall. Our work has been instrumental in helping the City be recognized as a Top Diversity Employer in Canada and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Youth.
Our focus is on the following demographics:
- Student & youth
- Indigenous peoples
- People with disabilities
- Multicultural communities
- Individuals transitioning from the Canadian Armed Forces
- Eliminating the gender gap in targeted occupations
Our Programs & Services
- We collaborate with over 60 post-secondary institutions and employment organizations to implement talent acquisition initiatives and programs
- We represent the City at career fairs and employment events
- We aim to increase awareness and understanding of City jobs and our application process
- We provide career coaching and counselling to individuals interested in working for the City
- We source and refer qualified candidates to hiring teams