To eliminate gender-based violence, the City will develop policies that:
- Address violence and discrimination against women and gender minorities
- Promote gender equality
- Support women and gender minorities, and all people with lived experiences of gender-based violence
- Develop allyship skills in young men and boys, and change attitudes about gender and gender-based violence in young people
- Change the way inequality is perpetuated at all levels of society
Strategies need to reflect the lived experiences of diverse women and work on multiple causes simultaneously.
Goals, Outcomes and Strategies:
1. The Edmonton public has increased awareness of, and understanding about, gender-based violence and sexual assault.
1.1 Develop and share a public awareness campaign aimed at bystanders.
1.2 Collaborate with partners to deliver public education on gender-based violence and sexual assault.
1.3 Foster and promote research about gender-based violence and sexual assault in Edmonton.
2. City employees have increased awareness of, and understanding about, gender-based violence and sexual assault.
2.1 Coordinate domestic violence in the workplace training for all city employees.
2.2 Develop and share an awareness campaign aimed at city employees.
3. Increased engagement of men and boys as allies in ending gender-based violence and sexual assault in our community.
3.1 Work with key partners to foster mentorship and peer support.
3.2 Undertake public education to support men in becoming effective allies.
4. Increased commitment to end gender-based violence and sexual assault on the part of Edmonton public, private and NFP organizations.
4.1 Facilitate a public declaration of commitment by leaders in the community.
4.2 Pursue Edmonton’s membership in the UN Women Safe Cities and Safe Public Spaces program.
5. Enhanced support for, and collaboration with, initiatives that strengthen a coordinated community response to prevention.
5.1 Taking a collective impact approach, contribute to collaborative gender-based violence and sexual assault prevention initiatives and strategies.
6. Increased use of intersectional gender-based analysis in City of Edmonton business and processes.
6.1 Work with partners to coordinate gender-based training for City of Edmonton employees.