The City has an environmental strategic plan, The Way We Green, that sets out its vision and plans for a more sustainable and resilient city by 2040. It includes a long list of action plans designed to fulfill its various environmental goals including more specific energy related plans which have been reviewed and approved, such as a greenhouse emissions reduction plan for internal City operations.
- Assess your home energy use using our Green Home Energy Toolkit. Or if you want something more in-depth, check out a video of a real home energy audit and book an appointment with an energy advisor.
- Replace your incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent or LED bulbs.
- Use a power bar to quickly and easily turn off all appliances when they aren’t being used.
- Use caulking and weatherstripping to seal air leaks around windows and doors.
- Install a programmable thermostat to turn the heat down when you’re usually out of the home and during the night.
- Replace your furnace, hot water tank and/or appliances with Energy Star® rated ones.
- Keep your furnaces tuned up and properly adjusted, and replace the filters regularly.
- Reduce your vehicle idling time – a minute or less is best.
- Get around more sustainably – walk, bicycle, carpool or use transit.
- Use a vehicle that has good fuel efficiency.
- Purchase green power.
- Install solar panels or other renewable power sources when building or renovating your home.
Want more tips? Check out:
- Start or get involved in a community garden. By growing your own produce, you reduce the distance the food must travel to get to your home.
- Organize a swap party with friends and neighbours. Others may have what you need and you may have what others need. By reusing items, we reduce the amount of materials that need to be recycled or put in the landfill. Alternatively, donate your items to a charity. (Please check to see what items they accept first!)
- Start a tool lending library for items that can be pricey to buy and seldom used but handy to have. Or start a library for other items that your neighbours might need.
- Have an idea but need funding? Check out our EcoCity Edmonton grant.
- Get these and more ideas at Community Initiatives.