Drainage Services operates and maintains over 5,500 km of pipes, 332,000 service connections and numerous other assets, which have a combined replacement value of over $14.9 billion at the end of 2010.
Drainage Services manages diverse capital projects including design and construction of wastewater and drainage facilities using open cut and tunneling methods. The majority of construction is done by City crews with specialized equipment and internationally renown expertise.
Key Accomplishments 2009-2011
The award-winning Kennedale End-of-Pipe Wetland Project in Hermitage Park Malmo Plains Dry Pond South Edmonton Sanitary Sewer (SESS) Stages SA1b along 91 Street from Anthony Henday Drive to 28 Avenue Tunneling works for Stages NL2/NL3/N1 of the North Edmonton Sanitary Trunk (NEST) along 153 Avenue between 78 Street and Manning Drive Groat Road Basin End of Pipe Underground Stormwater Treatment facility in Government House Park Flood prevention projects in Aldergrove, Bearspaw and Pleasantview neighbourhood WESS W13 construction along 151 Street from 99 Ave to 93 Ave SESS SE4b through the Orchards neighbourhood in Southeast Edmonton
Key Projects Planned for 2012-14
The average annual capital expenditure for 2012 through 2014 is about $138 million:
- Construction of SESS Stage SE4a, connecting SE4b to downstream SE3 trunk along 91 Street SW just south of 25 Avenue SW (2012)
- WESS Stage W14 construction (2012)
- Continuation Mill Woods Storm Trunk to provide relief during heavy rainstorms (2012)
- Continuation of WESS Stage W12 tunnel under North Saskatchewan River (2012)
- Flood prevention projects in Laurier Heights and Duggan neighbourhoods (2012)
- Completion of WESS Stage W12 tunnel (2013)
- Continuation of Mill Woods Storm Trunk (2013)
- Construction of Morris Pond wetland providing flood and water erosion control (2013)
- Completion of Mill Woods Storm Trunk (2014)
- Construction of Quesnell Basin Low Flow Diversion project (2014)
Drainage Services capital projects are funded through the utility, and are not tax-supported.