2012 Council Discussions
The City of Edmonton operates three public utilities: Sanitary Drainage, Stormwater Drainage, and Waste Management Services. The Utilities report to Council’s Utility Committee, with the Utility Advisor providing direct advice to the Committee.
The approved budgets for City-managed utilities result in average rate increases in 2012 of $4.03 per month for Sanitary Drainage, $1.34 per month for Stormwater drainage and $1.86 per month for Waste management. The wastewater treatment services are separately managed by EPCOR.
The Utilities operate under their respective Council-approved Fiscal Policies and 2012-2014 Business Plans in a manner that combines the desire to provide the best service at the lowest cost (public utility) with approaches to encourage innovation and use of a cost structure that sends the proper price signal to the customers (private utility).
All three Utilities underwent Cost of Service studies in 2011. The proposed 2012 Budgets have been prepared based on the existing rate structures with small shifts across customer classes. Further changes relating the studies and their recommendations will be proposed to the Utility Committee for consideration in the 2013 Budget.
The Proposed Capital and Operating Budgets for the Utilities reflect the strategic directions and initiatives identified in their 2012-2014 Business Plans presented to the Utility Committee on June 16, 2011. These include:
- Maintain efficient and effective service
- Build and renew drainage infrastructure
- Improve environmental protection and maintain public health and safety
- Support economic growth and development
- Improve coordination and collaboration
- Nurture innovation and creativity
Waste Management Services:
- Deliver efficient collection services focused on environmental protection
- Process waste to recover resources and minimize landfilling
- Provide responsive services that meet the changing needs of our customers
- Maintain our leadership status by focusing on innovation and attracting green businesses
- Engage the citizens of Edmonton to facilitate their full participation in waste reduction, reuse and recycling