This category is described as "a premises or any part thereof where members of the general public attend, are invited to attend, or through which they may arrange an appointment to receive the physical external manipulation of the soft tissues of the human body for a fee, including any manipulation of an adult or erotic nature, but not including Health Enhancement Centres."
There are special regulations and application requirements for this category. Edmonton Fire Rescue and the Edmonton Police Service are asked for a recommendation, and Alberta Health Services is notified when an application is submitted for this type of business.
If you are a corporation:
Submit the full name, date of birth, and recent Edmonton Police Information Check for all primary managers, owners, partners, directors and officers of the corporation
If you are an individual:
Submit your full name, date of birth, and recent Edmonton Police Information Check
Body Rub Centres must:
- Maintain a list of all employees that includes their full name, date of birth, any pseudonyms or aliases, telephone number, and Body Rub Practitioner business licence number
- Produce the list of employees when it is requested by a Peace Officer
- Only employ Body Rub Practitioners that have been licensed by the City of Edmonton
- Only advertise your business using telephone numbers, names, email addresses, and Internet addresses that have been previously provided to the City
- Display your Body Rub Centre business licence number on any advertisements placed on the Internet, or in any newspaper, magazine, or periodical
- Ensure that there are at least two employees working in your business whenever it is open to the public
Requirements for changing location or ownership of Body Rub Centres
A new licence is required any time that the legal ownership of a Body Rub Centre changes or a current Body Rub Centre changes location.
This is because licences are specific to licensee and to location. If either of those two things change, a new licence application is required.
Please make sure you understand these regulations, which are outlined in the Business Licence Bylaw. If you require more information or clarification of these regulations, contact us by calling 311.