Starting at 11pm Canada Day, 2014 and then every night after that, 365 days a year.
Lighting the High Level Bridge
Light the Bridge celebrates and builds community spirit in Edmonton. The bridge lights are a beautifying element to our cityscape, a symbol of pride for locals, and part of our Edmonton story. They can also be used to help represent Edmonton and share our story with national and international audiences.
Calendar of Special Requests
The City of Edmonton proactively fills the calendar to help recognize major events and cultural celebrations. Our aim is to reflect the diversity of people who call Edmonton home and our connection to the global community.
Citizens are invited to make requests based on the criteria outlined below. We strive to fulfill all eligible requests, but any confirmed request may be modified if a major international, national or local situation occurs.
If there is not a special request for a date, the bridge will be lit in a variety of colours. This calendar is subject to change without notice.
|July 16||India Film Festival of Alberta 2018||Green/White/Saffron/Red|
|July 17||Global Day of Inclusion||Red/White|
|July 18||2018 Canadian Swimming Trials||White/Light Blue/Red|
|July 19||Taste of Edmonton||Blue/Green|
|July 20||Edmonton Carnaval||Blue/Yellow/Green|
|July 21||Multiple Miles for Myeloma||Magenta|
Application Request Information
Applications must be not-for-profit, community-focused and received at least three weeks prior to the requested date. Requests are processed in the order in which they are received and are considered on a case-by-case basis using the following criteria:
- Support an event of national or international significance (such as Canada Day or Edmonton hosting major international events)
- Support of a local festival or event that positively impacts local community spirit
- Support a local, national or international awareness issue that builds community (such as Treaty 6 Recognition Day or End Bullying Pink Shirt Day or World Cancer Day)
Other Recognized Lighting Events
- Acknowledge and welcome visiting dignitaries (such as the Royal Family or international civic officials) hosted by our city
- Tributes or memorial requests for well-documented local or national figures or service members will complement existing City of Edmonton Protocol.
Multi-day requests will not be accepted. The City of Edmonton reserves the right to deny requests that do not merit public support or are mainly personal, private, political, polarizing or commercial in nature.
If you would like to make a request to change the High Level Bridge lighting colours, please submit an online application to the Civic Events Office, a minimum of three weeks prior to the requested date.
Frequently Asked Questions
It will change with the seasons. The bridge will be lit during the morning commute and again when it starts to get dark and will turn off late in the evening. The City of Edmonton sets the hours.
The City of Edmonton, Civic Events Office.
No. Since the bridge is not a solid surface, there is nowhere for words to appear. Also, we don’t want the bridge to turn into a billboard.
Thank you for your interest, but bulb purchases are no longer available.